Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEARS Sells Craftsman . . .

SEARS Sells Craftsman . . .

. . . .

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-se...ker-1483623215

Looks like SEARS is done-for. Hope at least this brand survives. Prolly 90% of my tools are Craftsman

Of all the things they coulda done . . .

. . . Craftsman IS SEARS

I'd 've sold ALL the stores/real estate, kept Craftsman --- then taken the whole operation 'on-line'

'Bricks + morter' = not the future = 'not smart'

We Can Be Heroes

I knew Sears was done for years ago when they quit warrantying Craftsman tools. You used to be able to take any broken tool in for a full replacement. They quit that and the quality of Craftsman tools went down the toilet as well. I have Craftsman tools from the 50's that are still in use they are solid. I received some last christmas and they are crap. I switched to Mac and Snap On Long ago

My first tools were Craftsman starter sets as birthday presents as a kid. The wrenches and sockets were fine but the ratchets were cr@p. Did learn to rebuild the ratchets quickly though, so they served a purpose...
    Last edited by Stevie; 01-08-2017 at 11:01 AM.

The ratchets got worse and worse. They became Knuckle busters in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I knew Sears was done for years ago when they quit warrantying Craftsman tools. You used to be able to take any broken tool in for a full replacement. They quit that and the quality of Craftsman tools went down the toilet as well. I have Craftsman tools from the 50's that are still in use they are solid. I received some last christmas and they are crap. I switched to Mac and Snap On Long ago
    When I walk onto my local Snappy truck with broken stuff the owner fixes or replaces whatever I've dragged in and thanks me for coming. He's one of the easiest going guys I've ever met. No attitude, all business and he likes to "work" with his customers.
    Of course no of the stuff isn't cheap but neither is Stahlwille, which I'm really fond of, or anything else out of Germany (unless it originated in China).
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thumbs up

Although I have some good old Craftsman hand tools.... THIS is my best

Born in the same year as me... My 1949 Craftsman 1/2" (Jacobs Chuck), 1/3 HP bench drill press...

I got it about 30 years ago from a used tool guy who got from an old machine shop owner who had it in his own prototype work room... and he customized it with a one-hand (quick) vertical stop, quick belt change, and adjustable depth levers....

It runs as new.... and all I did was freshen up the flaked off red paint on the logo and belt cover.....

I LOVE my Craftsman drill...........

Sorry it will have no new descendants........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That press is a beaut, Chuck. Don't make 'em like that any more. And I love the handle knobs.

1483915990234-610004077.jpg
    I believe I have the predecessor of your drill press Chuck, one of my favorite tools. My wife bought me a new Craftsman press a few years ago because mine was so old. I re-gifted it.

Thumbs up

I believe I have the predecessor of your drill press Chuck, one of my favorite tools. My wife bought me a new Craftsman press a few years ago because mine was so old. I re-gifted it.
    ........ Nice drill press ...

Yep, just did some on-line homework and yours is from the '30's...

Also, I thought mine was mid to late '40's ... and '49 was what I was told... Nope !!!!
    That would have been a 103.0305...And I have a 103.0303 and 'they' say it was a 1942 one year only drill, just before they 'tooled-up' for the war...... Who knew??? ...

Folks that are sites like ours dealing with vintage Craftsman tools.... That's who......

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I hated to see this news. So many big brands have lost their way.

Iconic and synonomous (in decades past) with the shade tree mechanic.

Do we know if Craftsman is still doing well or are they a dodo bird in current era of throwaway and upgrade (don't fix it) whilst staring at your tablet?
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624