Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Newton Has Passed

Richard Newton Has Passed

Sad to read this: I had some pleasant exchanges with Richard...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....6-4b975b223091
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Richard Newton Has Passed

Read the following this AM in Vintage Motorsport's newsletter...

Losing One of Our Own: Richard Newton 1944-2017

Naples, FL -- Richard Newton's excellent work graced our pages beginning with the 10.3 May/June 2010 issue, his "Newton's Law" column on a variety of technical topics one of our most popular with our readers. We're sad to report that Richard passed away peacefully in the early morning hours of June 19 with his wife of 40 years, Elizabeth, at his side.

Name:  richardnew.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  30.2 KB

VM readers will miss Richard Newton's popular column.

Richard was born in Flint, Mich., apropos since that town was the initial birthplace of the Corvette, a brand that would come into Richard's life in a big way in his later years.

He graduated from Michigan State University with a PhD in Education in 1970. From there he taught at Temple University, in Philadelphia, PA for 10 years, specializing in Secondary Education and further participating in Fulbright programs in Egypt and Nigeria.

By the 1980s Richard began writing articles for automotive publications, with a focus on Corvettes, because he loved them. In total he authored 10 books such as "Corvette Restoration Guide 1963-67" and hundreds of articles, eventually becoming the editor of Corvette Fever magazine. But his passion for Corvettes also extended to a love of Porsches, and he could discuss the subject in depth with the experts.

Over the years he had much involvement with car clubs and participated in solo events, driving schools and even the ChumpCar World Series. He was also a docent at The Revs Institute in Naples, Fla. Last December he attended Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School in Gainesville, Fla., always learning and trying out new things, a dragster something he always wanted to try.

Richard was an editor's dream, full of interesting ideas to pursue and always prompt with his work, a positive influence in every regard. I will miss those phone calls with his, "Hi Randy, Richard here," knowing that his mind had been working overtime, eager to present me with a topic for his latest column.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Cliford. There are no services planned; contributions in his memory may be made to Avow Hospice, 1095 Whippoorwill Lane, Naples, FL 34105.

Our heartfelt condolences go out to his family and many friends.
    --D. Randy Riggs
    Known as "Richardnew" here, his posts weren't always my cup of tea -- no disrespect intended, but it's always sad to lose one of the community's members. RIP.

Saddened by this news. He followed his own path. RIP Richard.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

That is sad to hear.

He shared many contributions with the community, engaged in some interesting discussions, and vexed a few of us with his perspective on things.

In the end, a perfect member in a forum based on hobby and passion.

RIP
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

R.I.P. ... I enjoyed very much his pics ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Very sad....

I looked forward to his enthusiastic contributions here... and his tech articles in Vintage Motorsport...

R.I.P. Richard
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Made me realize just how simple I Am. Very detailed and intricate explanations on a variety of discussions. Glad to have bumped into him here on the Early 911 s registry. As with everyone else that dies in our mists; unique & N.L.A. Condolences to his family & friends. Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-30-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Banned
    I'm in shock.

And immensely sad; especially for his wife, son, outside family, fellow enthusiasts, and close friends. Hope and prayer that he made peace with God before passing.

As much as Richard irritated me with his absolutely preposterous posts I can honestly say I will miss him. We all have something to contribute even if we're in disagreement. I can't think of anyone here who could possibly fill his shoes. Farewell sir.

If there's anything we can do on an individual, personal level I would appreciate a PM. Thanks.

R.I.P.

We exchanged emails only a few times, but I appreciated his views.

A unique writer, he will be missed.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187