Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull switches on 69t

Pull switches on 69t

Hello, I have two pull switches on my car but am unsure what they were used for.
    The place were a factory fog switch with green light is fitted is blanked off so wondered
    what else they could be used for.

I have a bracket for electrical aerial and wondered if that could be on a pull switch?

Name:  IMG_0414.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  111.0 KB

Any ideas or a brief list?
    My finger is covering a hole for a pull switch.

Thanks lee

Can anyone help out there ?

You're the one with the car, not us, so you're in a better position to answer the question than anyone else. The pull switches are not factory pieces. Suggest you turn them on and off to see what works or stops working. If the switches do nothing, chase the wires from them to see where they lead. If there is no consumer attached, the directions the wires lead may at least provide a hint as to what they might have controlled.

That is in the area where the pull switch for a gas heater would have been.

Regards

Jim

Lee,

Your photo is confusing and we are all going to need some more info on your car. A '69T?

Your photo shows the ignition on the RIGHT of the steering column...additionally the dash fascia covering appears to be '72-'73 vinyl.....to my knowledge all production '69 900 cars had vinyl "waffle weave" on the dash fascia. Additionally you have another accessory pull switch adjacent to the speedo reset knob. That looks to be generic Bosch, but not standard factory fare. Can't explain the hole by your finger as your dash appears to be completely re-arranged from factory original. What is on the left fascia where the ignition, headlight switch, and emergency flasher switch would normally be??
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Lee,

Your photo is confusing and we are all going to need some more info on your car. A '69T?

Your photo shows the ignition on the RIGHT of the steering column...additionally the dash fascia covering appears to be '72-'73 vinyl.....to my knowledge all production '69 900 cars had vinyl "waffle weave" on the dash fascia. Additionally you have another accessory pull switch adjacent to the speedo reset knob. That looks to be generic Bosch, but not standard factory fare. Can't explain the hole by your finger as your dash appears to be completely re-arranged from factory original. What is on the left fascia where the ignition, headlight switch, and emergency flasher switch would normally be??
    Mark

You are right!

Ciao

jim

MPH speedo ...ignition switch RIGHT of wheel...is that a clock to right of speedo? ...

Could it be a RHD car by any chance?

Heard a rumour that Porsche built a few RHD but that was probably down to the beer they served workers at lunch in factory canteen. Always thought that was a bad idea to serve booze midday at work

Joking apart, I haven't got a clue on random switches, possible holes other non standard stuff like wrong vinyl dash on a 69 911 T so this post probably doesn't help answer question so defer to those who really know details of 911 controls that year. Electric aerial not normally a separate switch control. Does or did car have factory or aftermarket sunroof -- a rocker control typically in MY I know better? The control to reset the trip mileage as previously noted is under there but that is a very distinctive shape.

If it helps for reference this photo is from an original 69 911 driver's manual showing RHD controls. Manual that I happen to have on my shelf is for S not a T:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  84.3 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  61.5 KB
    Example of what claims to be a 69 RHD S from web to compare to handbook photo but I can't attest to this example's provenance or originality or relevance to T.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 275
Size:  137.0 KB

Best

s
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Lee's car is a very very early RHD 69T
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Lee
    as mentioned that pull switch is a generic one. I have seen them used for many purposes but mostly not stock purposes. The factory race cars and some 911R's used to have two to the outside end of the dash which were connected to the two ignition systems - that way they could pull one or the other to test if one was not working properly I have seen them in different places for that purpose as well. For non factory applications Ihave seen them as pull switches to turn on driving lights (although they were linked to high beam so with the switch pulled the high beam and drivers came on at the same time). That was only because there was only one spare hole next to rear window heater and cigarette lighter to put light switch and if you had both fog and driving lights a new spot was needed for extra switch) Given you have an empty slot there I doubt it would be for that. I have one that I use to override the automatic antenna feature in my radio so I can keep it down with the radio (actually IPod) on. That obviously is not stock.
    as others have suggested I think you need to follow what wiring is there to see what it may leads to. I think the only thing that is certain is it is not a factory fitting.

On the hole under your finger I think that you may find one on both sides of the steering wheel. I certainly have one on the inside side of the steering wheel almost in the centre of the fascia ( not the key side you are pointing at) hidden by the material covering the facia. I have utilised mine to install a push button as a cold start mechanism to replace the cold start circuit and give me manual control - but again it is not stock. I suspect anyone who wanted to install after market things with switches could utilise such holes already in the metal instead of drilling new ones. This is what mine looks like - but both on the other side to yours and I know for certain that I put them in

however where I have the little button there was an old alarm switch - maybe one of yours was for an old alarm system?

Name:  interior 2011 008.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  120.5 KB
    Last edited by HughH; 07-20-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks guys. Thanks Hugh

Yes a very early RHD 69t, will see what wires are still present but definitely a Bosch aerial installed at some point
    Definitely an early aerial but haven't a clue when fitted?

Regards lee