Thread: One expensive way of keeping time

One expensive way of keeping time

. . . 'Ever'

Quote Originally Posted by radiocure View Post
    '. . . Manufacturer: Rolex
    Year: 1968
    Reference No: 6239
    Case No: 2’005’325, engraved ‘Drive Carefully Me’, hand engraved inventory number D61798 under side of top left lug
    Model Name: Cosmograph Daytona ‘Paul Newman’
    Material: Stainless steel
    Calibre: Manual, cal. 722, 17 jewels
    Bracelet/Strap: Crocodile ‘Bund-style’ strap
    Clasp/Buckle: Stainless steel, unsigned
    Dimensions: 37mm diameter
    Accessories: Accompanied with original copy of provenance attestation letter signed by Nell Newman, and framed photograph of the Treehouse of Paul Newman’s and Joanne Woodward’s ‘Nook House’.
    Literature: This actual watch is seen on Paul Newman’s wrist in hundreds of published photographs, and for example, is prominently illustrated in Paul Newman: A Life in Pictures by Pierre-Henri Verlhac, and in Ultimate Rolex Daytona by Pucci Papaleo Editore.

Catalogue Essay

When an original Rolex “Paul Newman” Daytona is offered for sale, collectors take notice. To own one is a dream for so many. This absolutely fresh to the market watch is the “Paul Newman” Daytona after which all others came second. Likely purchased in 1968, Joanne Woodward chose this reference 6239 fitted with an ‘exotic’ dial, as a gift for Paul Newman as his passion for motorsport was just beginning. Throughout his lifetime, Mr. Newman was seen wearing several generations of Daytona models. This is the first and only ‘exotic’ dial Daytona he wore, making it the ultimate Rolex Daytona wristwatch. This wristwatch has been worn by Paul Newman lovingly over the years, but also well preserved by the consignor, James Cox. The case retains its original proportions, lines, and edges, and in our view, has never been polished. The wonderful, “DRIVE CAREFULLY ME” engraving on the case back is perfectly crisp and completely intact.

Likely to have been originally purchased at Tiffany & Co. in New York, an inventory number possibly engraved by the luxury retailer is found on the underside of the left lug. The dial has developed a creamy, warm patina that is consistent with its age. The luminous hour markers have also aged charismatically along with the luminous hands – all completely original and intact. It comes accompanied with a signed letter written by Paul Newman’s daughter, Nell Newman, documenting its provenance and her support of its sale. The Daytona is a model that will forever be associated with Paul Newman, made famous by him thanks to this very timepiece. The present lot therefore presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own one of the most mythical, most important, and most recognizable watches of the 20th century. It’s now being sold for the first time since leaving the inner circle of the Newman family, nearly 50 years after its purchase by Joanne Woodward. We are thrilled to offer it here, with a portion of the proceeds going to The Nell Newman Foundation and Newman’s Own Foundation, in support of Paul Newman’s philanthropic values. Its impeccable provenance, incredible “DRIVE CAREFULLY ME” engraving from Joanne Woodward, and wonderful original condition make Paul Newman’s “Paul Newman” Daytona one of the world’s most precious – and most priceless – timepieces. Ever . . .
    '

When will we see this one, again?

Who says stuff with 'stories' is harder to sell?

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Another Take . . .

'. . . Well, it's official. We have reached levels of madness never seen before - and this auction result has got nothing to do with horology, watchmaking or watch collecting.
    There is no doubt that this 'record' will be celebrated for months, but in my books this is just a prime example of a media circus; audience clapping at every bid, a pretentious clown creating fake tension and drama by yelling Tiffany, Nataly, Tiffany, Nataly, last chance, fair warning, Tiffany, Nataly selling, Tiffany fair warning, last chance Tiffany. Quite frankly, any lower Northshore real-estate agent would be more entertaining to watch.

A fool parting with his cash. On what precisely? A mass-produced piece which in the 1970s was less popular than the Omega Moon Watch Professional, retailing for around $1,200. The watch that Paul Newman casually took off his wrist and gave to a boyfriend of his daughter. "Yeah, man, thanks for taking my darling out last night, I am sure you two had a good time, but tomorrow, please, bring her back before 5am”. “But, sir, I don't have a watch”, said the kid. “Here, take this one, just don't forget to wind it". Probably not word for word, but the story is more-or-less authentic. Paul Newman couldn't have cared less about his Paul Newman. THAT was what made HIM Paul Newman, but this act of generosity didn't make this Rolex more important than it really was, which wasn't really that much.

Surely, you can call me a cynic, but I am not complaining about the amount that fool paid. I am just trying to point out one important detail: There are many timepieces of far greater historical value, technical importance, beauty, and provenance which are sold for peanuts every year. But they don't generate media hype. They cannot be sensationalised because the average newsreader has never heard of Breguet, Dent, Graham, Jacquet Droz, Berthoud,Lepine, Ditisheim, Earnshaw - or even Adolph Lange.

However, as of today, I have one more nuisance to worry about: To explain to my friends, neighbours, and people I travel to work with on the bus: "If Rolex is NOT the best watch in the world, why is it then the most expensive watch ever sold"?

It's the question I have no answer for. Unable to untangle this paradox, to all of them I'll just look like an ignorant fool.

So Rolex, you have beaten me and won another battle, again. Congratulations . . .
    '

Nicholas Hacko
    nick@clockmaker.com.au

We Can Be Heroes

You beat me to it! And we thought Steve's 911 was expensive!

daytona.jpg

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...eid=ba30d60624
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

to each his own...

......but man, Id stock up a few garages of rs'......rsr's.......s's.........!!!..........

Quote Originally Posted by 70tangerine View Post
    to each his own...
    So true. While I can't defend or justify that price, I can say as a long time avid watch enthusiast that the dynamics are very similar between the "car guy" and the "watch guy."

And I know there are more folks like me on this forum...

Detail obsession and therefore price differentiation, condition, keen interest in the engineering and mechanics of horology, model changes, history, individual provenance, and movement innovations.

I think of them as "cars for the wrist".

YMMV, different strokes, etc
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Did any 911S owner take up the offer to trade their longhood car for an early 70 version of a Rolex Daytona aka "Newman" watch. Iirc there was a thread on this?

S

Thumbs up

Sold for a very worthy cause
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by 70tangerine View Post
    to each his own...

......but man, Id stock up a few garages of rs'......rsr's.......s's.........!!!..........
    Me too, but I'm sure the buyer already has that base covered, hah.