Thread: Cigarette lighter

Cigarette lighter

They came in our cars and we all use them and I use mine heaps.

Cognitively I dont seem to be able to remember to charge my Ph up at home so I suppose I have an 02 flat6 charged Iphone, (not quite as rare as johnjohn's duck tail but very close )

Now my lighter in the car is on the 'blink', so, yes I am being lazy and asking here for help.

Everything else seems to be working,

Q, Is the lighter on its own personal fuse? If not what does it share with.

I would try and look at the wiring schematics, but they seem to make my vision worse than it already is not to mention the nausea.

Even licked my finger and shoved it in, "nothing", if that is any help to the "wise'

Mark

Is yours a 69 model?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,
    Its a 72T.
    I see in the Wk/Shp Man that it has it's own fuse,, #4 in Fuse box 1 and have checked it. It was old looking (possibly original) but not blown so I replaced it but still a dead Dodo.
    Am thinking it may be the actual lighter or a poor contact behind the dash which I shall check on the weekend.
    I am NO auto electrician but I am assuming that 16amp is OK to handle a Ph charger over a lengthy period ???
    Mark

I only asked about 69 because that's the only year the lighter has a relay. Use a test light to see if you really do have power at that fuse. Taking the speaker cover off will get you access to the back of the lighter if need be.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Is your ignition on?
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I only asked about 69 because that's the only year the lighter has a relay.
    I have a '69 and never knew about a relay. Can we assume that that the act of pushing in the lighter knob to the "heating" position completes a circuit that in turn energizes the relay to supply full power to the heated element through an additional fused circuit? In 40+ years I've never used the lighter itself, but have used its socket many times to power auxiliary equipment such as two-way radios and even a plug-in voltmeter. Since there doesn't seem to be any wiring schematic for the '69, I'm curious as to how the connections were made and where the relay is located.

The relay is standard round / black located on trunk floor to left of steering column, very near turn signal relay.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It may be off-topic, but how could it possibly be that Ed only has about 6.000'ish postings on this forum (and i read a felt 80%) but I learned from every single one of 'em?
    Is it the wrong place to say:"Thank you, Ed"?
    Maybe, but let me say: Thank you, Ed!

You are most welcome
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.