Thread: 1968 polo red paint questions

1968 polo red paint questions

I originally posted this on the 912 site but didn't get much feedback so although not a 911 I figured I'd look to this forum for thoughts....

I have a 1968 912 that originally was Polo Red. Paint code 63 6802-L. (Lechler paints) I am having the car repainted in the original color. Car was taken down to bare metal - rust repair and body work now complete. There appear to be many different opinions on manufacturer and paint system to use. Originally was going to use Glasurit but we (paint shop) have been told they don't have a formula for that paint code. Then moved on to PPG and had two samples prepared. One from a formula and one from a scan of original paint (polished) on the car's door jamb. The two samples are close but not exact - especially in the sun. Here are my questions:

1. Paint manufacturers - any thoughts / recommendations?
    2. Paint type - single stage vs base / clear?
    3. Formula vs scan color?
    4. Orange-peel in final paint?

Here is a little info that may help out in recommendations. Car is number matching - found parked in a garage for 30 years. Restoration to include complete body, engine rebuild, suspension,etc. I am trying to keep as many original items as possible - even if the items are not perfect. Once completed the car will be driven. May take it to a show - but that's really not the reason for going through this process - but at the same time I want this correct.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve I'm no expert but here goes; Glasurit, single stage, get one of Wilhoits spray out cards, yes
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Steve, There absolutely is no one answer.

You will be fine with Glasurit, Sikens, or PPG brand paints.

I like single stage, that is what they were done new. I am painting a couple 911S cars right now and it’s single stage for me.

2 stage is actually quite forgiving and easier for the painter so most of then want to use it. It can be a bit milky or washed out color if done with poor materials or messed up. Sometimes too glossy but also often near impossible to tell the difference between the two with the naked eye.

Colors, well the ingredients have changed so sometimes the color code has not yet been converted but for polo red one of the most common colors on all vintage 911/912 is probably has been. The amount of times I have heard a paint shop tell me a color is right or they can’t get a color or a painter saying a color cannot be made is amazing. A good paint supplier can make any color but you need something to start with so sometimes a camera shot and some tinting is the way to go. Have a paint card sprayed and compare it against the car - inside under artificial lights, outside in the sun, and at dusk or dawn to really compare the sprayout - color is so complex.

Color sand and buff - ya why not? Make the car pop with gloss. In fact most painters need to go over their paint as some areas don’t always spray perfectly so you need to sand it flat and buff out some fuzziness or excess peel. If your painter is one of the best in your state and does classics daily then he might be able to shoot paint without any final buffing, “airbrush finish” if you will. You can always do it later, look up 3M trizact to color sand, it’s great.

I worry for you that your painter cannot come up with the following information. For Glasurit, either code 6802 (which you list) or 6602, both 012. Color chip 8424A. Complications will obtain from the following: 1) nothing out of the can will match your old door jambs, 2) whether you use single stage or 2 stage, will affect the toners, 3) whether you use solvent or water base products. Here is an example of the formula for one gallon of base coat (2 stage process) solvent based, Polo Red Glasurit:
    352-91 Reducer normal 658.5 gm
    A352 Dark Red 1300.9
    M201 Bright Orange 354.9
    M25 White 70.2
    M306 Oxide Red 1098

I sure hope your paint shop does you right

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.05.35 PM.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  36.1 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Note that the chip/formulae Beh911 provides above are, I believe, for the old, original ENAMEL paint. Surely today you would want to use modern urethane such as the Glasurit 22 line (single stage) or 55 line (two stage, base-coat/clear-coat).

Some colors are easy. Polo Red is very common so it’s been done already with a modern formula.

Here is a visual look at the color choosing process on my 914-6. First one on the left was to code in the computer, then a color shot with their color matching camera off the original paint, needed to be lightened up still 2 more times. Someone with a great eye for color is more accurate than the digital stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. We did 4 spray off tests. Starting on the right (card with holes) of the attached photo: 1. Glasurit (base clear) from their formula 2. PPG (single stage) from scan 3. PPG (base clear) from their formula 4. Glasurit (base clear) from scan. The scans were taken from original paint from the car - hidden from UV. The photo shows the samples adjacent to the original paint. The painter sprayed a product (that could be wiped off) on the existing paint to mimic the gloss level on the spray cards. He then used a light (for this photo) that matched daylight in color. We viewed these in under other light sources. To us clearly the best match was #4 Glasurit from the scan - better in real life than the photo documents. Now that the color formula has been set - the only decision is wither to go single stage or base clear. If we decide to go single stage we would do one more spray off with Glasurit. The local Glasurit distributor doesn't stock the single stage product but stated the "color" would be the same.

Again thanks, Steve

Name:  IMG_7373.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  69.1 KB

Im using Glasurit two stage, polyester color, urethane clear on my 66. The color matches very well. For single stage, Glasurit gave me this formula. Two stage is easier to repair but single stage is easier for me to apply and polish. My next one will be single stage.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 66S; 12-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.