Thread: Ready-Set-Go....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys. All the fuel injection parts are there. The car was said to be running fine when parked, other then the clutch, so other than what has deteriorated from sitting all else should be good. Of course that leaves a lot of things that will need attention. Don't know when the H1s were added, but the third owner who worked at a Porsche dealership kept lots of receipts and a log of maintenance items and showed no record of adding them. At 50,000mi or so the throttle bodies were rebuilt by Eurometrics, the chain tennsioners were replaced and the car received new tie rod ends, brakes, and a host of other items.
    The first owner went on to start the largest independent Porsche shop in Tulsa. The second owner went through several Porsche 911's and owned a commercial heat and air company around the corner from the first owners shop. I was able to talk to him, but he wasn't able to tell me much, as now he is quite aged and his memory is not so good. The first and second owner are now deceased, however the first owners business partner is still alive.
    So my first order of business was to remove the fuel tank and ascertain wether or not it was worth trying to save. The car was parked with about 1/3 of a tank of gas which had evaporated, leaked, or a combination of both. After pulling the sending unit out I saw what looked like layers and layers of rust. After poking around with a long screwdriver I determined that it was actually the dried up gas. Next I removed the fuel plug and in tank filter and proceeded to scrape all the gunk I could. I dumped that out and took the tank to a car wash and sprayed around all I could. What I was left with was very encouraging, as where the high pressure water was able to make good contact it looked very good with hardly any rust. The tank will now sit for a couple of weeks with about 4 gallons of vinegar in it to see if that will loosen the rest. Meanwhile I've been preparing to drop the engine and have a question. The wires going into the alternator go through the fan shroud and it looks like I have to either remove the fan to get to them or take the whole wiring harness out with the engine, and I don't want to do that. What is the recommended procedure for dealing with the wires? Here's a picture of about 3/4s of what came out of the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable