Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Mirror - Nearly useless, am I missing something?

Side Mirror - Nearly useless, am I missing something?

On the 68L I have, the side mirror on the driver door is useless unless I nearly mash my face up against the door glass to peer out and that is even fully bottomed out towards me!

Am I missing something? Wrong mirror? Even when I pull it fully toward me in an attempt to peer out of it, it won't retain that location (which still isn't sufficient to see out of).

I appreciate any thoughts or tips.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 6.51.48 PM.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  70.5 KB

Nothing technically incorrect from your photo. The large Durant mirrors that Porsche used from 1968-71 certainly aren't perfect. If you remove the mirror, you should be able to tighten it so that it at least stays in the most useful position.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 11-15-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Cool, thanks "Live from NY". I appreciate your response. I will tighten the base up. I just wish I could turn the mirror towards the car more. It hits the base (as you can see in the photo, it is hard over), and I can't turn it towards me. I think these mirrors are perfectly suited for "Sid" from the Ice Age animation!

His left eye would line up perfectly with the mirror....

Name:  sid.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  26.2 KB

I was ready to change my identical mirror out when I put a few drops of
    Wurth 2000 on it. Just where it pivots. It worked miracles!!

I have same issue with my '69. Working with it, the swivel suddenly 'broke loose', and now I can position it wherever I want and it stays perfectly. That said, it totally sucks from a design standpoint. Oh, and of course there is only a driver's side mirror.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Thank you, Rich for chiming in. Yes, seems we are both experiencing the same thing. Lane changes are a bit daunting. Especially in a little car. Just have to crane my bean around and ensure safe passage. Still, would be nice to square up the door mirror so that I can safely see behind me. You don't realize how much you utilize the door mirrors and rear view mirrors until you don't have them! If someone has an idea or two, let me know! In the meantime, happy lane changing!

Quote Originally Posted by raspritz View Post
    I have same issue with my '69. Working with it, the swivel suddenly 'broke loose', and now I can position it wherever I want and it stays perfectly. That said, it totally sucks from a design standpoint. Oh, and of course there is only a driver's side mirror.

You can add a passenger side mirror if you want, location is higher and further back on the door because it's viewed through the vent window. Get the hard to find convex version if you can, it's worth it.

Repop Durants are mostly junk and difficult to adjust or even make stay in one position, but I've never had a problem with authentic ones. As suggested, adjust tension of the pivot nut before installing.

Name:  Mayaka Photos 006 (3).jpg
Views: 256
Size:  96.1 KB
    Last edited by Bullethead; 11-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Looks like you have a reproduction mirror and if so they are impossible to adjust. Maybe give us a closeup of the logo on the back of the the mirror.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Here is a close up of the mirror stamp:

Name:  mirror.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  81.1 KB

Yep. Mike called it. Repro for sure.