Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie in need of help! What the hell have i bought?

Newbie in need of help! What the hell have i bought?

Hello there, have been a member of this forum for three years or so, used to use it regularly but drifted away as I've always had impact bumper-ed 911's. My Porsche obsession started getting out of hand a few years ago, and its now turned into a business, Stuttgart Classsica. IB forum is where i tend to reside now, but I am hoping someone on here can help me. I've recently bought two 911 shells, but i have no idea what years they are or models. I'm not so clued up on the older stuff, so was hoping this forum could help

Here is the story:-

Everyone likes a barn find, and I do mean barn find. Not the overused term where people have put a car away then pretend to find it again, and call it a barn find.

Two years ago, a customer of mine sent me this.

We didn’t know what age of the cars, the status, vin numbers, logbooks, etc etc. Until last week we couldn’t figure out what the third car was. So, it’s taken two years to track down the farmer that owns the field and barn. No one has ever been allowed into the field to view the cars, and they have never been advertised anywhere as far as I can tell. Eventually after making a nuisance of myself the farmer has finally allowed my customer to go in and take a couple of pictures, and even came around to the idea of parting with the cars. The farmer wasn’t even aware they were Porsche’s.

So, when my customer rang me as said they were for sale, based on only the first picture I agreed to buy the two first cars. I hadn’t seen the cars, and knew absolutely nothing about them. Talk about a leap of faith!

So, the next day, my dad and I made the 85 mile each way trip to the field to collect some shells that looked like 911’s. Upon arrival, we quickly established that the third car was what was left of a 944. All three cars are ex race cars of some sort. There isn’t much left of the 944, side, roof and some zig zag bracing across the floor to stop it all wobbling about. The 911’s were much more interesting. This is what I bought, I haven’t been able to find any VIN numbers so far, maybe under the rust. Still not sure on the years of the cars. But they both appear to be long hood cars, they both have the through front anti roll bars. Both shells have had roll cages, shock towers reinforced. The banana arms pick up points have been heavily modified, torsion bar tubes cut out. One the shorter shell there is evidence of 935 spring plates.

The first shell, I think this is the more interesting shell. It’s been shortened significantly. But has been done to a very good standard. The arches have been cut back then inner arches added and welded up to make a smooth seem. The front has had the same treatment, my guess would be to accommodate removable front and rear ends. Possibly some sort of 935 or Mobby Dick replica?

This is the second car, there is a lot more left of this shell, although the build quality is not a good. The cage has hint of homemade about it, and the welding looks like a pigeon has landed on it places! This shell has some other interesting quirks, the rear seat bases have been modified, along with the trailing arm pickups. This can only be to change the angle of the arms, reducing squat I would imagine, or giving the ability to add or reduce the amount of rake. The front bulk head has had a large section cut out and a metal circle added, once again I would have thought this was to accommodate a dry sump tank.
    All of the rear arches and bumper corners are fibreglass, they have been bonded on but there is evidence of Zeus fasteners. I guess this was done when it was all the rage to forwards date a car, oh how times change hey! The roof has been welded on badly, the battery box at the front removed and plated over. The O/S/F inner wing also appears to have been replaced, so maybe the donor car has had a whack on that corner. Maybe it had a sunroof hence the roof change, or it landed on the roof!

This is what was left on my trailer!

Can anyone help! Apart from telling me that I have bought a load of rust! Any thoughts would be interesting, any things I should go and check on the shells to help identify the years would be of much help. Locations of chassis or build numbers. I have been told that on the longer shell, that the crayon numbers on the back of the gauge area could be traced back to a VIN number. I can't make out the numbers, i think they are too deteriorated.

Many thanks, hope you enjoyed the story!

Will Chappell

The number in crayon on the dash top of the RHD "shell" is key to you understanding what you have.

Can you provide a close up of that number

It looks like 1091192

Make sure tetanus shots are up to date
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Its not April first so I am convinced from your story that you are an idiot

Why would you post that?

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    . . . Why would you post that? . . .
    Hear-hear . . .

. . . someone's come to us, looking for some help --- that's all . . .

. . . so? --- let's help . . . if we can

We Can Be Heroes

An apology is in order...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

An apology is in order...
    Yep.... and before it gets deleted....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Somewhat mean-spirited of you...

the guy comes here for help to understand what he has... it's comments like this that really damage the purpose of the forum. I recall how nervous I was when I first joined the forum as I realized I didn't know much. After several years, I still don't know that much compared to some of you, but I have enjoyed learning what I do know... and all of the knowledge has been given freely, for which I am very grateful!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Welcome, Will Chappell, and thanks for sharing this story with the forum... I look forward to following your journey!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

OK OK Im sorry. I didnt mean anything by it. Was maybe looking for a reaction. I got it. Im sorry.