Thread: Simple fix, replace ignition switch, now what have I got

Simple fix, replace ignition switch, now what have I got

Just replace the ignition switch on my 72T, easy I thought. This is what I have now. There are three plugs that plug into the wall (firewall),behind the ignition, hazard light and the headlight switch. Today I tried plugging them one at a time into each female receptacle on that firewall. No response! I plugged each one into each receptacle and tried pulling on the headlights but nothing happened. I only have the old Haynes manual for reference and it doesn't have any pictures of that area and the electrical schematic doesn't help either. Does anyone have a reference I could use or some personal experience to help me.
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

Try this guy from Tennessee,Steve:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...B-Video-Series
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ Reuters ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

This may help
    Name:  IMG_2275.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  127.1 KB
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Interesting. I have only 3 plugs instead of 5 and they are right on the other side of the instrument panel across from the headlight, hazard and ignition switches.
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

If you get yourself into a contortionist position you will see Numbers 1 and 2 positioned horizontally and basically directly above the other three.
    Number 1 for the headlights is positioned more forward of these two

Thanks Nick. Not easy for an old guy to crawl under the dash but I'll get it sooner or later.
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

I did twist myself under the dash and spotted those other receptacles. Still working on getting the ignition key into the dash. I think that steering column lock is making it hard to install.
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

Just to check I found the right plug for the ignition and tried to start the engine. Great!!! The same issue. Turns on the fuel pump but I just hear a click at the solenoid. The engine doesn't turn. Exactly like it was before I replaced the battery, starter and ignition switch. I have a feeling it's going to sit on the top of my 4 post lift for awhile.
    Kent Olsen
    McMinnville, OR
    72 911 upgraded 3.0L
    RGRUPPE # 104

While someone is holding the key on, tap the starter with a mallet.
    Because that is easy.

I once had a new starter that wouldn’t go.
    It turned out to be the main transmission ground.
    (It was using the parking brake cable as the ground, and it messed up the cable pretty bad)

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914