Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Needed to Remove Offset Mirror Nut

Tool Needed to Remove Offset Mirror Nut

I am trying to change the Durant mirror on my 65 911. I can't seem to access the 10mm nut, which, as can be seen in the attached photo is slightly offset. A 10mm socket fits through the access hole. A 10mm wrench doesn't. Because the nut is offset I can't get the 10mm socket on the nut. I have tried several flex attachments for my socket wrenches. But they are all too fat/big to fit through the access hole when attached to the socket. Does anyone know of a tool that will give me access to the nut? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by prs356 View Post
    Does anyone know of a tool that will give me access to the nut? Thanks.
    Have you tried wrenches similar to these?

Name:  DSCN5398.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  92.6 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all sorts of tools. Do you know if either of those offset wrenches fit inside the small access hole?

Quote Originally Posted by prs356 View Post
    Do you know if either of those offset wrenches fit inside the small access hole?
    I'm pretty sure they will, but tell me the diameter of the access hole, and the clearance between the threaded tip and the door.

Jon B.

Might it be possible to get something like a Hazet 645 to work? I have various vintage West German made examples of this type of flex head tool — some have quite shallow sockets and the hinge flex goes beyond 90 degrees which might just allow it to squeeze in where socket plus attachment won’t ? Name:  B8BEC5CA-AB7A-4F54-9004-F14F69D0DDD5.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  49.4 KB
    Steve

Hi Jon,

The diameter of the hole is 20mm. The distance to the base of the nut is about 24mm+/- Thanks.

Peter

Shallow swivel sockets come in handy on many tough to reach areas, such as heat exchanger nuts, engine tins, and probably the mirror:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 2.33.19 PM.png
Views: 272
Size:  138.9 KB

10MM :
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Drive-...cket-SHD08110/

Set:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXWC67N
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Steve, do you know whether the head of a 10mm wrench will fit inside a hole with a 20mm diameter? Thanks.

Peter

Name:  ACECFACF-C5B1-4261-BE95-284A3F3EC910.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  50.9 KB
    https://www.misterworker.com/en/haze...nch/49032.html

Not all dimensions are given on site ( didn’t sed the height at 90 degrees which might be critical ) but maybe a Google search of similar tool will give dimensions for something from another manufacturer available to you on next day if dimensioned drawing in link shows it fits. Late on Sat eve here in U.K. so my tools aren’t to hand to measure

Also if you have something like this set ( typical found in an electric screwdriver set) maybe you could use the 10mm size and get a 1/4inch slim wrench on to the hex shank (shank drive is 1/4” 6.35mm hex ) ? Not ideal as it’s a bit fiddly but if task is stalled perhaps it can work as one off solution for such a small nut — a set of these probably cheap enough to shorten the 1/4 hex shank length if standard height its too long for the aperture.

Name:  11C0B62F-812F-4DF6-A867-65784E5A05B5.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  39.8 KB
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-17-2023 at 02:27 PM.

That would be my bet:

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post

Name:  11C0B62F-812F-4DF6-A867-65784E5A05B5.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  39.8 KB
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616