Thread: M568 1972

M568 1972

I have a question about this M number. I see that it is present in 1195. Porsche Spain told me some time ago that M568 refers to tinted windows. But later, Porsche France responded saying that M568 is 568 Vitres teintées avec pare-brise AR chauffant en deux parties, which translates to "tinted windows with a two-piece heated rear windshield."
    The question is whether M568 was an "options package" since I understand that Porsche France mentions the presence of a heated rear windshield. Does M568 include option M102? Or are they different things? Regarding the description provided by both Porsches, which one is correct?

Normally, M567 is a tinted windshield, and M568 is all glass tinted; so different parts for the Targa vs the coupe.
    Now, I also have M102 : Two-stage electrically heated & tinted rear window
    So it could be that if you wanted either all glass tinted for a coupe or two stage heated rear window then you automatically got both.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Normally, M567 is a tinted windshield, and M568 is all glass tinted; so different parts for the Targa vs the coupe.
    Now, I also have M102 : Two-stage electrically heated & tinted rear window
    So it could be that if you wanted either all glass tinted for a coupe or two stage heated rear window then you automatically got both.
    Maybe the individual end customer didn’t always decide on such things….

For example in U.K. some models automatically got tinted windows all around as standard because the sole concessionaire (importer PCGB) had agreed a spec that was “higher” than the German home market. That fact is noted in the GB local price/ spec documents PCGB published around 72/3. Despite this M102 twin heated rear tinted is specified on the “conversion order” sheet of my car but the all around tint glass is denoted “automatically” in the country / market equipment “bundle” that’s shown on the fahzeug auftrag. From memory tinted glass isn’t separately a listed M-option on the conversion order. (First series RS so perhaps it’s outside the norm but my guess is the tint glass all around for the regular 73 S here in GB would also be just part of the C16/EG on build sheet)

I expect for such parts could've varied depending on what the concessionaire / importer had agreed with Porsche Germany as the standard spec for their regions and model lineup each year.

Porsche had to compete with other marques and models in many different markets around the world which affected how they chose to specified what was offered as standard to win share. For example 911 was roughly double price of of contemporary Jag etype in GB so tended to get luxuries bundled in by my mporter as standard here especially to S or E Lux. Price lists in U.K. some years stated clearly that the equipment provided fir GB was different — better — than the German home market spec illustrated in the photo brochures m. Did so to make this point evident to buyers to help them sell to customers who might need to be convinced the extra outlay was worthwhile.

I expect this was also done other countries and regions for similar marketing reasons beyond the reasons where the specification and configuration had to be different for regulatory or other pragmatic reasons like driving on left.

Global sales and operations planning in a multinational automotive OEM has its complexities but there is (usually) method in the madness because the automotive industry has always strived for efficiency and effectiveness in its ways of working but that may not be apparent when looking at things individual cars that are scattered around the world some five decades later

Starting with an individual old car to figure stuff out might be fun but perhaps is somewhat like looking the wrong way through a telescope — a rather different perspective from the global operations director at Porsche in Germany who sat atop such things. The person who with functional teams set up and operated the many complex global ways of working that for Porsche as global entity used to repeatedly design, engineer, market, sell, fulfil and keep serviced- through life for the many thousands of 911. Protocols dealing with ever-evolving multinational market, regulatory and individual customer specification / configuration that have to be right in every small detail on-time and to-quality, otherwise the it may be need rework or worse . Let alone coping with real world events that regularly crop on top in extended supply chain but have to be managed above and beyond that already routine complexity and any running changes within the model year.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-08-2023 at 02:21 AM.

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  23.7 KB
    both options in the same vehicle. As it should have been originally written, as in this vehicle that I show or as in my vehicle adding m102 to m568 knowing that it was for the local market. Thank you both for the information.
    y
    Name:  m443 1973.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  46.9 KB
    https://porschecarshistory.com/wp-co...r%20Morgan.pdf

m443 does not exist in 1972 or?
    Name:  Options-1972.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  124.8 KB

umm yes
    m443 1971
    Name:  m443 1971.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  46.7 KB
    https://www.early911s.de/en/cars/sal...4-s-coup%C3%A9

What difference was there in the defrost of one stage or two stages?
    +

Italy
    M568 no m102.
    Name:  italy2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  10.6 KB
    Name:  italy.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  40.7 KB
    As we can see, 568 is mentioned but m102 is not mentioned despite containing it. Italy was mandatory M102 in 1972?
    https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1972-2027970/

+

m568 Japan
    https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1972-2377332/
    Name:  907japon.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  13.9 KB
    M102 is not named but it is included in the car.
    Last edited by _gonbau; 07-10-2023 at 12:40 AM.

Yes, the Cxx country specific equipment codes are very important when determining what options a car has. Also the six digit model (marketing) codes also can help define options; primarily the transmission but in the case of the 914 it also defined trim level. Sometimes these codes will have different definitions depending on the model year. The base specification (standard equipment) certainly changed annually, and the Appearance / Comfort Group option not only differed by model but annually as well. I would love to have the specifics of the Cxx codes defined in a table.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers