Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do? Disassembled and confused

What to do? Disassembled and confused

I decided to take apart what I thought was a 2.4L 1972 and do a rebuild. While taking it apart, I noticed a few issues, like all the spring shims on one head were on one side and none on the other. Strange materials were used to try an seal the case bolds.

Today I started catalogue numbers and found that only the case is from 1972. The crankshaft is from a 2.2L engine and the connecting rods are from a 2.0 engine. At this point I am quite confused and unsure what to do. I have already ground the crank to fix issues so I am into it but do I continue? The engine was running but poorly when I took it apart but it had not been started for quite a while.

Any input would be appreciated.

So now you have a short stroke,,,,is that a problem? But since you're having the crank reground be sure that it also gets rehardened. For the rods I would use ARP bolts on reassembly and have the rods resized WITH the new bolts installed. Of course I have no idea why the engine was not running well.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

You have your work cut out for you. Who knows what else has been changed. As someone with a 2.2S and a 2.4E I really like driving the 2.4E with its broader torque band and lower rpm range. Will be interesting to hear more of what you find, like what p/c it has, head sizes, induction, oil pump, among with other changes. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    So now you have a short stroke,,,,is that a problem? But since you're having the crank reground be sure that it also gets rehardened. For the rods I would use ARP bolts on reassembly and have the rods resized WITH the new bolts installed. Of course I have no idea why the engine was not running well.
    Thanks for the reply. I have found many issues with this little engine. From misfit thrust bearing to all the spring shims being installed on the intake valve and none on the exhaust valve of one of the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by julerb View Post
    You have your work cut out for you. Who knows what else has been changed. As someone with a 2.2S and a 2.4E I really like driving the 2.4E with its broader torque band and lower rpm range. Will be interesting to hear more of what you find, like what p/c it has, head sizes, induction, oil pump, among with other changes. Good Luck!
    That is encouraging to hear. last night I wasn't sure what I was in for. From what I can gather, the car was rearended and the engine was replaced. The bodywork looks great but the bumpers were forward dated. My plan is to put the original bumpers from 1970 back on with the longhood. Before any of that happens, I want to get the engine back into running condition. I am not sure what you mean by p/c but I'll keep cataloguing. I thought I was ready to put the engine back together. I had bought bearings thinking it was a 2.4. Now I have a set of new main and rod bearing need to sell as well.

piston and cylinders. With all that is going on what is your case number and type?

Quote Originally Posted by julerb View Post
    piston and cylinders. With all that is going on what is your case number and type?
    Case is magnesium
    901.101.101.4R
    901.101.102.3R

serial 6529027

Typically, you'd want to start by sending the case out for all the work it might need first. Oil bypass, line bore etc. 2.4L cranks are quite available. I know it's a slippery slope as these engines are expensive but need to be done right. I'd start knowing the Mag case was perfect before starting.
    72S, 72 3.5L Signal Green, 914-6 GT Signal Green

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t serial 6529027 from 1975?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Nope, that is a 72 case but from a Euro, Zenith carbed engine. Sounds like a chef's salad engine, tossed in a little bit of whatever was laying around. So take the heads apart and shim the springs correctly and go with it, Or decide how much money you want to throw at it, then the possibilities are endless!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.