Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: WTB: 1973.5 exterior passenger side mirror

  1. #1

    WTB: 1973.5 exterior passenger side mirror

    Hi,

    Looking for an original exterior ‘passenger’ side view mirror for a 73.5 in good shape. Rectangular style as in pic.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    I am looking also, Stoddard sells one but no idea of quality.

  3. #3
    aka techweenie Eminence Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,086
    Quote Originally Posted by miken426 View Post
    Hi,

    Looking for an original exterior ‘passenger’ side view mirror for a 73.5 in good shape. Rectangular style as in pic.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    FYI, that is a 74/75 style mirror and there are OE mirrors and excellent reproductions available for the right side. There are also correct 72/73 repros available if you want to put the correct mirror on the left side.

    Most important: do not use the same position on the right door for mirror installation, as it will not be visible from the driver's seat. Right side mirror is positioned several inches rearward so the sightline clears the a-pillar.

    Final point: 72/73 and 74/75 mirrors have the same base and mounting so you can use the correct mirror or the larger later mirror interchangeably.
    techweenie.com

    My parts fetcher: 2014 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

  4. #4
    Is the smaller rectangular mirror Stoddard shows for 72/73 mirror correct for a 73.5? Mine appears to be the bit larger 74-76 style that has squarer corners. Thanks

  5. #5
    If you are looking to purchase the smaller correct mirrors for 72-73 I have an original left side mirror in nice condition and a never mounted right side accurate reproduction bought many years ago. Can send pictures.
    Jeff Burger Hudson valley ny

    73 914 project
    92 964 coupe DD
    92 964 WB 3.8/turbo look SR coupe
    19 carrera T
    73.5 T SR 2.7 - sold 8/22

  6. #6
    Senior Member dirk07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    3,336
    Have two left side original 72/73 mirrors dir sale.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    FYI, that is a 74/75 style mirror and there are OE mirrors and excellent reproductions available for the right side. There are also correct 72/73 repros available if you want to put the correct mirror on the left side.

    Most important: do not use the same position on the right door for mirror installation, as it will not be visible from the driver's seat. Right side mirror is positioned several inches rearward so the sightline clears the a-pillar.

    Final point: 72/73 and 74/75 mirrors have the same base and mounting so you can use the correct mirror or the larger later mirror interchangeably.
    Do the existing access holes on the right hand door allow you to install the mirror in the correct position?
    Harry

    Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

  8. #8
    aka techweenie Eminence Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,086
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    Do the existing access holes on the right hand door allow you to install the mirror in the correct position?
    The good news is that the holes, and even the base seal are identical.

    EDIT: if you are asking about the mounting that is indicated by access holes on the inner door shell then no, absolutely not. On a left hand drive car, the right side mirror needs to be several inches to the rear of where those holes would position the mirror. Otherwise the a-pillar will block your view of the right side mirror.

    See this discussion https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...or-help-needed
    Last edited by Eminence Gris; 08-24-2023 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Clarity
    techweenie.com

    My parts fetcher: 2014 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,079
    Eminence Gris: Thanks for the info. My HPDE instructors dearly wish they have a mirror.
    Harry

    Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

  10. #10
    aka techweenie Eminence Gris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,086
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    Eminence Gris: Thanks for the info. My HPDE instructors dearly wish they have a mirror.
    Well, that's a big difference from my instructors who would have wanted me to put tape over the mirrors and only look ahead!
    techweenie.com

    My parts fetcher: 2014 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Message Board Disclaimer and Terms of Use
This is a public forum. Messages posted here can be viewed by the public. The Early 911S Registry is not responsible for messages posted in its online forums, and any message will express the views of the author and not the Early 911S Registry. Use of online forums shall constitute the agreement of the user not to post anything of religious or political content, false and defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise to violate the law and the further agreement of the user to be solely responsible for and hold the Early 911S Registry harmless in the event of any claim based on their message. Any viewer who finds a message objectionable should contact us immediately by email. The Early 911S Registry has the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.