Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targa compatibility 1971 & 1981

Targa compatibility 1971 & 1981

Hi experts!

I am a proud owner of a 911 S Targa from 1971. As my forum name indicates, this car has been heavily modified during the years and I have started the long journey to restore it to somewhat similar to it's original look.

During the 80s someone converted the car to a cabriolet and sawed of the B-pillar/targa arch. I have now found a targa arch from a 1981 Targa donor car.

Is this B-pillar/targa arch compatible with my -71? How about the Rear window from -71and roof?

Anything else I need to consider in this case?

All input and help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Olov

Welcome to the forum! Hoping you get good info for your specific question. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your Early S!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Welcome….you have a real adventure in front of you!
    I had a similar project on a LWB . I was able to find NOS targa arch for LWB.
    Check part numbers in Porsche parts manuals and see if different .
    There are extremely critical measurements for the arch when welding in due to the tolerances for the rear glass/seal and the targa top to fit correctly.
    I do have some photos of the NOS steel targa loop welded in place
    Send me PM and hopefully can assist
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    There are extremely critical measurements for the arch when welding in due to the tolerances for the rear glass/seal and the targa top to fit correctly.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Thank you! This will be a long journey but I am not in a hurry. :-)

I don't seem to have the privilege to be able to send PMs.

Do you happen to know where I can find the porsche parts manuals? Are they available online? Also being new to this world. What do you mean by NOS and how do I know if my model is LWB? Sorry for my rookie questions, trying to get my head around this new world of classic cars.

if you want, you can send me the pictures on my mail dunfalk@hotmail.com

I don't know the intricate differences between a '71 Targa and an '81 Targa, but I have a 1969 'targa arch' with the stainless and a top I could part with very easily.
    Your previous post does not indicate if you've already purchased the parts, but I thought I could help a bit.
    To answer your question, LWB=Long Wheel Base, which indicates a 911 built between 1969-1973.
    Good Luck!
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1959 Austin-Healey Sprite
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2001 Mazda Miata 'Daughters Car'
    2008 Audi S6
    2018 Panamera 4S 'Wife's Car'

Cheers and welcome Olov...
    Good luck on your S Targa project !!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Orange71S
    Saw you post re arch & SS trim …also trying to assist as I did a similar project
    Can you post a few photos …assume the targa arch the structural part ?
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange71S View Post
    I don't know the intricate differences between a '71 Targa and an '81 Targa, but I have a 1969 'targa arch' with the stainless and a top I could part with very easily.
    Your previous post does not indicate if you've already purchased the parts, but I thought I could help a bit.
    To answer your question, LWB=Long Wheel Base, which indicates a 911 built between 1969-1973.
    Good Luck!
    Jay
    Thanks!

I have bought the roll bar that was sawed of + metal cover which I reffered to as "arch". What I'm missing is the rear window and roof top plus some seals now.

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Thanks
    Frank
    According to the parts manuals 1971 roll bar had the part number: 901 565 001 45.

From 1974 the same part changed number to: 911 565 001 40

So the big question now is what changed (if anything) apart from the number itself.

I sent the question to my local porsche center.
    Last edited by 911s_frankenstein; 09-05-2023 at 11:49 AM.

I'd start by contacting Dan Pechtal at "Cars Inc" He is the Targa top restoration expert, I'm sure he would know of yearly differences.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.