Thread: rear wheel bearing

rear wheel bearing

I replaced the rear outer wheel bearing on my 67S with a SKF 6208 C3 ($19 from local bearing house.) Wheel still loose. A C2 bearing (the next available better tolerance class of bearing) is $190. The needle bearing is good. I suspect the C2 is what I need but hesitate to buy and install it without some assurance that it is what I need.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Paul

admin_old
    Did you also install the matching bearing race?

Sherwood

And tighten the axle nut to the correct torque? It's something ungodly high like 350 ft. lbs.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Needle bearing is in apparently good shape, no free play. I torqued to 250 ft lbs but the torque doesn't change the clearance in the ball bearing, it is applied thru the innerrace of the ball bearing, the spacer sleeve, the inner race of the needle bearing and to the drive shaft. Torque of the tapered roller bearings as used in the front axle does affect the bearing looseness there.

I still believe that the class of bearing is the problem since the needle bearing is somewhat removed from the ball bearing therefore its looseness would not be obvious contribution to axle looseness.

The SWB 911's have a different rear axle bearing arrangement from the '69 and later models.

Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads

1. SWB rear wheel bearing help
    By ETW in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 08:38 AM
  2. Rear Wheel Bearing How To
    By merbesfield in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
  3. FS: Rear wheel bearing removal puller
    By a911s in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
  4. Woo Woo Woo sound from rear end....maybe rear wheel bearing?
    By Chris Tallon in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
  5. SWB rear wheel bearing number
    By herrongrey66 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2001, 08:58 AM