Thread: master cylinder? 67-911

master cylinder? 67-911

I'm a PNO of a 67 911, but she nees some work. Any good ideas about sourcing a master cylinder? front shocks? front wheel bearings?

As I contemplate tearing into the front suspension, should I do it all at once? I'm thinking turbo tie rods, front sway bar, shocks, front bearings, etc. what else should I do while its all apart??

thanks in advance!

tom

All that you seek can be found in any one of the mail order houses, or Porsche dealer. Before you rip the A arms apart, remember that there are no stock bushings available to replace the ones you have.
    '65 911

If you're replacing the master cylinder, it is probably a good idea to upgrade to the dual circuit MC from '69 and later cars. The '67 had the old single circuit. This means you will need to get the newer reservoir, too, and route the second feed line.

The turbo tie rods can be fitted to the '67, but it takes some modification to do it. They won't just bolt in. If you're going to redo everything, I would consider getting a front end from a later car and putting it in, unless originality is your goal. Better struts, better brakes, better ball joint design, lighter crossmember- there were a lot of improvements made in the later 911s that will still fit your SWB car.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

tadink, I just completed a front suspension rebuild on my 67S. I installed turbo tie rods, new ball joints, shocks, bearings, brake rotors, master cylinder(single circuit) and brake lines. All items above are readily available from catalog sources. The turbo tie rod installation did require an extra spacer installed between the steering rack and the tie rod ball socket. This is needed to get enough thread engagement into the tie rod end. I removed both A arms and cross member as a complete unit, thereby allowing me to rebuild the suspension on the bench. This also allows for easy removal of the steering rack where it is much easier to remove the old tie rods from on the bench( they are way tight). I inspected and reused the original A arm bushings(120000 m) They may appear cracked from the outside surface but internally fine. Replacement bushings are not available, which are bonded to the A arm anyway. I am very pleased on how the car rides and handles. I don't track race it, just spirited street driving and I feel the factory suspension is more than adequate. However, if you need to replace A arms or struts because of damage, then 69 and later suspension swap out would be better way to go. Enjoy Wolf