Thread: 3M clear vinyl for hood protection

3M clear vinyl for hood protection

I'm looking for an installer of the 3M vinyl for hood/paint protection, in the Orange County area. I spoke with several dealers at Dunkels. They all said they do not do the early hoods, no template. I have 3 hoods that I would like to have covered.
    A bra scratches, and I do not like the stonechips.

Any recommendations?

TIA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Gburner
    Hi Ray,
    In San Diego Final Touch Graphics did mine, custom cut from a 24 inch roll. Try some of the Vinyl shops in OC. I found that most shops like to use the pre made kits only, and I could not find a pre made kit for my early 911. The shop that did mine is used to making everthing one off.

At the SEMA show 3M was displaying a new "Stoneguard" type film that they say will not yellow, mine must be the older version as it has yellowed some.

If you need the # for Final Touch lemme know.
    Missed you at Buttonwillow, over 200 miles of open track time.
    How was Andial?

have fun,
    Mike

hijack time

After the gran-prix white repaint, I was considering going the Stoneguard, or similar, route. I have seen a couple of white cars done with a few years on them and they do look slightly yellowed and IMHO terrible.

Any RS's, or others, which have any luck with gran-prix white with a little history?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Gburner

Re: hijack time

Originally posted by RickS
    Any RS's, or others, which have any luck with gran-prix white with a little history?
    Here's my white 911 with the 3M film on the spoiler, hood, around the headlights, rockers, front of rear flares and rear bumper behind the tires. I'd say find the new stuff that 3M claims does not yellow.
    Typically on a race weekend I'll have 200 miles of track time. The amount of rocks and debries, pick up flying off the slicks of cars I follow closely in a weekend at the track would be more than you would experiance on the street in half a year. Still the film shows no sign of any wear, other than the slight discoloring.
    More pics here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OC number

Ray,

Give me a call, I've got a number for you.

Roger

Mike,

Thx for the recommendation. Since I will never be showing the car, it doesn't need to be perfect, but I am compulsive enough to want it darned near invisible, except for the inevitable lines. You said they discolored slightly. How long have you had them on? Did they turn a slight yellow? Is the coloring noticeable from 3 feet or so? I take it the pieces were pre-cut. Where did you find them? Did you install and if so how?

Your car is gorgeous. When in college I had a print of Brumos # 59 over my bed. It is indelibly etched as the classic racing Porsche of its time.

Thanks,
    Rick
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Gburner
    I want it to be darned near invisible, except for the inevitable lines.

You should call a 3M rep and get the info on their latest clear vinyl.

It is less visable on darker colored cars. Yes the edges will show on all cars. it is removable with a heat gun and with some time and muscle it can all be removed.

How long have you had them on?
    about 14 months.

Did they turn a slight yellow?
    Yes, I guess it is basically just a little burnt from the sun?
    What concerns me is my car is parked in a garage and rarely used on the street. It saw about 30 track days and maybe 30 more street days last year.

Is the coloring noticeable from 3 feet or so?
    Yes, maybe 10 feet if the light is right.
    The pitch I got was that the NEW 3M material does not yellow.

I take it the pieces were pre-cut. Where did you find them?
    No I could not find a pre cut early 911 kit. Some installers buy it in a 24 inch wide roll for one off applications like ours.

Did you install and if so how?
    I had it installed, glad I did.
    Expensive, thick clear vinyl with super adhesive, not easy to work with,

Your car is gorgeous. When in college I had a print of Brumos # 59.
    Thanks, it was an alternative to do the Carrera RS script theme.

If you need a contact for the purchase of the material lemme now.

Re: 3M clear vinyl for hood protection

Originally posted by RC70SCoupe
    ...... and I do not like the stonechips.
    awe...but Ray...I've learned that stone chips show that you really do drive your 911...!!!!!

And I did nothing but Concours the 1st 4 years I owned my 911...

'guess that shows how I've changed..!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

How about POR15?

I was thinking, how about applying POR15 Pelucid or Glisten on the hood?

What I know is that it's clear and rock hard... Anyone tried?

I bet it would leave lines either.

Sprint.

Originally posted by Gburner
    I want it to be darned near invisible, except for the inevitable lines.