Thread: un-used pully attached to cam?

Question un-used pully attached to cam?

Alright we were thinking of doing the carrera tensioner upgrade but don't know how they would fit considering this (pully thing?), to be quite honest i don't know what it is or what it is for, cause we can't see that it has ever attached to anything. (we were thinking mabey smog pump at on time?) So i guess first of all: what is this seemingly worthless thing and second is can i remove it in favor of some diff chain housings and what-not? Third i suppose is to be asked only if the second was answerd yes; how is it done?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

-68'911

i posted onpelican too so if you post one place no need to post at the other, thanks again!
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima

Maybe you have camshafts from a MFI car? The MFI pump is driven by a pully on one of the cams...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I believe the '68 911 had to have a smog (air injection) pump in the US, which is why the "S" was not imported that year. Without seeing it, I would guess it may be the drive for that, and the pump has been removed at some time in the past. The left chain housing has a seal for the shaft to come thru and drive the pump on the type 901/14 engine.

As far as the Carrera tensioners go, I wouldn't do them on a 2.0 engine. They are much more expensive to do on an early car, and the chains and tensioners just aren't stressed as much in the 2-liter as in the later, larger displacement motors. When mine went out on the '67S, I just replaced the old ones with the newer 930 type (self-contained, non-pressure fed), and upgraded the chain ramps. No problems since. Much cheaper and simpler, and they can be rebuilt if necessary in the future.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

thanks for the info guys, i think i'll lose the pully and stick to the tensioner collars that i already have.

-68'911
    68' 911
    81' 280zx turbo (for sale)$4500 obo
    96' Honda Prelude
    03' Nissan Altima