Thread: inquiry: retro conversion

Question inquiry: retro conversion

...this is rather embarrassing, knowing what connoiseurs and perfectionists the individuals that compose this board are, and this inquiry may be considered sacrilege by some, but nonetheless here I go:

Would it be a feasible project to retro look a '78-'88 SC/Carrera to appear like an early 911? Would such a conversion be outrageously cost prohibitive?

I'm not too particular about perfect period correctness. The car would be just a personal extravagance and I'm not seeking to win any concours events. I would like the early bumpers, seats, chrome trim and mirrors. Would the fenders be that far different?

It seems that such a combination would provide low body weight, the classic looks that I crave and at the same time modern driveability, reliability and corrosion resistance.

$35 to $40k for such a project? Considering there are 911T's converted to Carrera RS' that are selling for that much, is this an outrageous idea?

Probably just a pipe dream but it would be nice to consider.

Seeking your collective kind indulgence.

you pay a lot of $$ and end up with a heavy car

worthwhile if you live in the rust belt for the galv. body

otherwise I'd buy an early car and sell the late one - you'll be ahead a lot of money -- in fact, that's what I did.

Lots of guys do it. You don't need to spend anywhere near 35-40K.

For starters, check out this link.

This is Curtis Autenreith's backdated '88 a few years ago. It looks a little different now (different wheels and vinyl). It's also in a recent issue of Excellence.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up thank you!

Just checked the thread. Wow! There's even a kit! How timely that the kit is only recently available.

Thank you gentlemen for indulging this novice!

speed autombile alzey gemany

they offer this speester in retrolook RS for EUR 49'800!
    from s speedster, special color, interior new, lightweight,
    new engine type 993, double ignition, 100 ltr tank, etc.

280 HP!

cool!

martin

part 2

911 speester, carbrio
    238 hp, 07/89
    3.400ccm
    eur 56'000!

sorry mixed up the pictures but anyway nice cars! this picture goes up and vis versa! lots of work!
    if anybody interested contact: speed-automobile@mobile.de

martin

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Yikes. That "Speedster" is one ugly car.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E