Quote Originally Posted by john rice View Post
I feel confident the last of the thin panels were long gone by the time this car was built, so it makes little sense. There was a discussion here about 10 years ago relating to at what point the panels actually ran out which may have been expanded upon at some point. The specifications of this particular build: plenty of customer orders are like that. It certainly isn't any lighter than a stripper 911 of the same vintage. Now that they are worth so much it's become a big deal. Back in the day..... eeeh.
I have a Porsche Factory bulletin (which I have scanned and posted here before, probably in the thread that John refers.) Funny thing is, no matter what anybody says or proves or otherwise on this subject, people just believe what they want to believe anyway, so it's sort of pointless to debate. That said, it was at or around #1036 (April/May 1973) that the light weight panels began to run out. They did not ALL run out at the same time, so you might have a car with some lightweight thin gauge panels and some panels 'normal' gauge.