Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback: California Porsche Restoration . . .

. . . in Fallbrook, CA.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this facility, their workmanship, and personnel?

Please reply by PM.

Thank you.

We Can Be Heroes

PM Sent........................
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Seemed like a good time to bounce this thread to the top. I would be interested in some candid feedback on their product.

There are numerous threads on this topic that die quickly for whatever reason. Seeing there is some recent experience with some senior 'non-vested' contributors of this forum, it would be an interesting subject to learn about.

For instance:
    How much is originality a consideration in what they produce? Look at the 69S in their sold section that does not have the engine compartment painted black. That kind of stuff...
    What's the quality like?
    Pictures speak volumes. As an example, not showing the red valve covers on the engine of the orange 71S they recently added (maybe they will change this sort of stuff, maybe not?)
    What is their philosophy on numbers matching?
    Corners cut? They seem to do a lot of volume, so just wondering if there are techniques that help them speed these cars along or if they just have the personnel and facility to make it all happen properly.

I could call them and get their pitch, but this site is more reliable and entertaining.

Looking for opinions from people that don't care about the stuff I just mentioned to happy owners, to the recent 'I would have to disagree on their work quality' posts on a non-related thread.

Also, as an East Coaster, I may be missing some sort of SoCal EarlySReg connection with CPR, so please point it out. Maybe they host this web site, who knows...
    Last edited by beh911; 09-05-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: examples
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    I may be missing some sort of SoCal EarlySReg connection with CPR, so please point it out. Maybe they host this web site, who knows...
    Interesting.......

I do not believe there is a deference paid to shops by the registry. I do think we all tend to understand while this is a hobby to many of us it is a living to others. A living in which they support their families. We can point out inadequacy, discuss idiosyncrasies but IMO there is an unspoken understanding to respect those who are earning a living. With that being said there is little support for dishonesty or misrepresentation. Neither of which I have ever heard associated with CPR. I have heard their restorations being questioned as far as originality but then again the factory takes liberty in their restorations.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I saw one of their cars here in Maryland 1973? T. I was told it was sold to a New England buyer for $130K. It was very, very nice, but I was shocked to see it had a fan that was powder coated gray and RS America door panels. However I was also told that the person who had the car restored by CPR requested it that way.I'm not sure what hit me most the price or the door panels. I get the impression that CPR knows what is correct.

I guess what I'm saying, is that some times a shop simply does what is requested not what is correct.
    Rob Abbott

Also, as an East Coaster, I may be missing some sort of SoCal EarlySReg connection with CPR, so please point it out. Maybe they host this web site, who knows...
    By 237 posts you should know better then that........ and I'm not smiling

The Viper Green thread got completely off track, that's it, and that's all...

You're now getting some feedback on your CPR inquiry.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Check out CPR's site in the section "Services" and then "Restoration". They have different levels of a restoration depending on what a customer wants and yes they will veer from stock if a customer wants (within reason) and of course for a price. Mix and match Euro and N.A. specs? No problem. As Macroni mentions, even the factory takes liberties. Most of CPR's restorations are what they term as street-level restorations as opposed to the concours-type. Expensive yes, but not as expensive as a concours-type restoration or what the factory might charge I would imagine.
    Marc C.
    1970E

this really is an important comment worth repeating:

I do think we all tend to understand while this is a hobby to many of us it is a living to others. A living in which they support their families. We can point out inadequacy, discuss idiosyncrasies but IMO there is an unspoken understanding to respect those who are earning a living.

Fact is, we should do everything we can to support via words and deeds anyone who supports this every increasingly expensive hobby. If someone makes a great living selling restored 911s....that is fantastic.

i have personally met some of the 'higher ups' at CPR and trust them completely-i have sold them quite a lot of parts and the guy who does the buying of their parts, Steve-when given a choice of lesser quality parts at a lesser price-will always step up and pay a premium for the nicer parts-he always says he is looking for the very best parts available and doesnt mind paying the price for them-not every shop is like that. good people to deal with.
    paul chappell

Wow. I reread what I wrote last night after reading some of these responses.

Chuck - I have very little visibility into the roots of this website/club and what the long standing connections and relationships are in this hobby in SoCal. So I still stand by my comments as I truly do not know the history. When a fairly senior contributor (fryradds) who by his profile hails from NW Indiana has some comments on one their cars, I thought it would be interesting to give a forum to discuss his observations.

CPR is very upfront in pictures of their vehicles and description of their vehicles. I used their site's FS/sold section extensively when I was in the market for a car. Which is where I kept running into challenges as there are many inconsistencies in their builds. As others pointed out, they have different levels of service and will depart from 'normal' at an owner's request, so okay, I get that.

If anyone is suggesting that by discussing the worksmanship and philosophy of someone in our hobby as the equivalent of not supporting that establishment, then I am really scratching my head. Especially given the thorough skewering almost every car that shows up in our FS threads gets from this forum. Aren't these individuals listing their cars and describing them also part of 'our hobby'? Aren't they trying to make a living as well?

In the end, it seems I may touched a nerve so I guess I'll let this die like the other threads about CPR on this site. I will continue to enjoy the CPR website for its great photos of our cars.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624