Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack McAfee Porsche

Jack McAfee Porsche

Apparently, the building that used to house the Jack McAfee VW Porsche dealership in Burbank is for sale. As part of the current marketing, the broker is using a photo of the old dealership. Just thought it was kind of cool to see. Quite a contrast to the current retail distribution outlets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another little bit of the memory...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burbank-Cali...item1c2bea2c2c
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    . . . and another --- see post #217 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Frames/page22
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-04-2015 at 05:10 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    nice picture.
    It reminds a very recent discussion I had with the guy who takes care of my 911 - he wants to change facilities and get something bigger, better, newer. I told him there is no other place on earth I like to spend time like his garage : a bit dirty, smeeling oil and fuel, pieces and parts around, a kinda corridor with open carrera6 engines, STs, RSRs. I love to see my humble car in, with a 935 on the right, a RSR 73 on the front and a 917 on the left.
    Smell and feel like a garage in le Mans, during the 24hours in the 70's.

This would be a pity to move to a clinical garage, this is a pity that this kind of garage as shown on the pic in #1 disapears.

Cheers
    Xavier
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 10-17-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Sad, sad, sad...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

From my dad's purchase of his new 356:
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 10-18-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Really cool, Jay

Looks like your Dad bought hisself a New Year's present! Any pics of the car? And what ever happened to it?

We Can Be Heroes

The photo from the 1960's looks very similar to the Rockford, IL Porsche - Audi - VW dealership that my dad bought his Audi Fox from in 1975. Even back then there was some definite design similarity from one P-A dealership to another. Fun to look at.

I'll never forget the year dad sold his trusty Chevy wagon and bought the "exotic" Audi Fox wagon - a big deal for an Elementary School Principal from Wisconsin with absolutely no interest in things automotive. I always enjoyed going with him to the dealership, and he did that a lot with the Audi, to look at the Porsches while he did other business. Sadly the Audi Fox was too "exotic" and temperamental to keep. It's the only vehicle my dad ever sold before it reached 100k miles or more. It was replaced by a much less exotic Plymouth Volare' wagon. Strangely, the bad Audi experience didn't prevent him from purchasing a used Fox sedan from a teacher at his school when we needed a second car.
    My Garage:
    66 912 (Project)
    11 Mini Cooper S Hardtop (Daily Driver)
    10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Tour (Wife's Daily Driver)
    05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
    various "one design" sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
    912 Reg. #0025-C
    Early 911S Reg. #1979

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Really cool, Jay

Looks like your Dad bought hisself a New Year's present! Any pics of the car? And what ever happened to it?
    Dad drove the car for 11 years and then sold it, without saving any information. Flash forward to this year, when I was going through all his old papers, I actually found the VIN. It was not on any 356 registry. I posted about it on this site and lo and behold, the guy who had just got the car about 2 weeks before I posted the VIN, did a random internet search for the VIN and found me! His dad was the one who bought it from my dad, and his dad had just given it to him.

I of course always harbored the idea that I might own the car. But, it is obviously in great hands and a family that has had wonderful experiences with it. Besides, I spent little time in that car. It was dad's 1966 911 that came next that I spent a lot of time in and am hoping to find. That's the subject of another thread on this web site and still no luck. One day.

Quote Originally Posted by brakekiller View Post
    Smell and feel like a garage in le Mans, during the 24hours in the 70's.
    X, Jerry Woods tells me that the old pits at Le Mans always smelled like a pissoir by Sunday morning...

-- David