Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reintroducing a storied car to the Early 911S Registry...

Peanut,
    Welcome and here is some basic advice.

1. Get to know this web site very well. It is the single best source of info on early the 911 on the web, bar none. The built-in search feature can be underwhelming, so wrap your brain around this thread for getting the best results:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...egistry-forums

2. Start a thread of your own. Keep all your questions about your car on that thread. People will read it, it will gather a following, and you have one place to post and keep track of everything.

3. Learning history of your car - In my case, it was a known. I was friends with the original owner and he kept everything, down to the cash register receipts for the odd bulb or fuse. He hounded the factory back in the late 70s for the Kardex so that answered many questions (and created others).

In your case, search this site (using built in search feature) as well as Google your car's VIN. See what comes up.

4. People have done DMV/MOT based searches on their car (again, search the site, the '1059' thread is a good example where Rick knocks on doors in Europe from his home in SoCal). Results will vary depending on your locale and the car's past life. You can also sift through whatever documentation comes with your car and try to track down previous owners. Take notes, create a file, all the rest.

5. It's all sort of a dice roll. Take time to enjoy your car in the process of all the research. I hope you plan to drive it!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks for the advice. I will start a thread, and I certainly plan on driving the car... weather permitting in Florida. Enjoy the pending Fall season.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Random shots...

Let's take a break from the valuation and pricing talk of late and get back to the basics.

Just fanning some enthusiasm your way...

I like this photo. So many special details in the 911 engine bay, from fasteners to finishes. Nothing too bright or overly clean--just nicely aged and period correct (minus the snorkel sticker). I prefer the original finish on a 911 fan over a restored one.

Compared to these photos of an 18k mile 69S engine bay--virtually the same, down to the green striped wire looped off the coil.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post513174

Name:  IMG_3447_40.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  90.0 KB

Original glass, brightwork, seatbacks, snaps, carpet, luggage straps, etc. Includes the odd nick or two. All the interior metal has a nice patina to it while the leather is original, still holding up well with regular TLC.

When I get in a restored early car, it just doesn't smell the same. Something in the original leather seats, straps, seat filling, glues, etc. makes for a very unique experience when you settle in to drive. Others have pointed it out as well. It apparently can't be duplicated...

Name:  IMG_3601 - Copy.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  94.6 KB

Enjoy the long weekend here in the States. Atlanta is stuck in the warm and humid backwash of Mr. Isaac without much rain to show for it. Not the best driving weather for sure...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Bryce, I agree, some cars seem to be overly restored and loose much of their charm and smell. Sometimes a good thing. My current 73S has the exact same smell that my first 73S had 25 years ago. Smelly leather, wet horse hair, I don't know but I love it. Every time I get in it brings back memories.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Bryce,nice shots, thanks!
    Early S Registry #2011

2013 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2

Captain Mike's VW Syncro Westfalia is For Sale...

Just a quick note about my car's 'family member', a 1990 Westie Syncro... it's on the market as of today.

I mentioned this VW camper in the ESSES article on my car that appeared a few issues ago. I may have written about it as well in this thread, I don't recall.

At any rate, the original owner of my 911, Captain Mike, was a huge VW enthusiast, in particular the campers. He had a few of them, this last one for a very long time. He was the admin for www.westfalia.org, an excellent source of info on all things Westfalia, until he passed away in February 2011.

If you are interested, please see the attached pdf document in this post for some back story on the vehicle, details of his factory order and customizations, plus photos. His wife, Jean, included her contact info in the attachment.

Sidebar story:
    I had a rental car parked in front of my house a couple days ago. While I was inside getting ready for the day trip, it was side swiped by a guy in a VW Camper. While waiting for the police to show up, we got to talking and I told him I knew someone who was a big Westie enthusiast. After sharing a few details on the vehicle, he said, "You mean Captain Mike?" I told him I owned his 911 and he said he met Mike at a camper event years ago and remembered him and the Westie. Small world!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Bryce, just got time to really read your day off trip. Boy would that have been a good trip for us, sorry I could not make it. Pick another day now that the weather is so nice and let's go!
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Hey, Bryce . . .

Been a while

Any updates? Or --- better, yet . . . any more Drives?

And have you noticed? . . . . except for the spelling --- we have the same avatars

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,

Not much to report, really. Cooler weather and fall color should be ideal driving weather though. Hope to catch some day trips soon and will share.

Regarding the avatar, funny you bring that up. I was just reading over my car's docs last night, and apparently, for a period of time, my car had '911S' as its road going NC license plate. Maybe it's why your car lived in NC with '911EST' on its plate... my car had the real deal...

At any rate, some minor oil leaks I can't get to on my own and rechecking the tune--we may try to lean it out just a bit. Waiting to get in to see Pat, and I need to do a write up on him although he doesn't need the advertising for sure as word of mouth keeps him plenty busy.

Over the past few months I've watched him tune a Carrera GS engine, troubleshoot and fix the mechanical fuel injection pump on a '70 Alfa, rebuild the brakes on a '46 MG, sort out a '53 Healey 100M, and of course work on numerous early 911s, many of which are discussed right here on the registry.

That's probably enough right there, except for adding trustworthy and honest friendship as the backbone.

Requisite car pics

Name:  IMG_3678_3crop.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3694 3.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  103.9 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

1969 Tool Kit...

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    64 901 to early 1965 is smooth vinyl with riveted clasps
    Mid 65 through 66 is ribbed vinyl.
    Changeover occurred in 1966 to a "fabric like texture" vinyl (kind of like a pinpoint oxford shirt material texture), continued through 1967.
    67 was the textured material like vinyl, note that I've seen (and own) some of these bags with red interior
    68 was PREDOMINANTLY a smooth vinyl with a putty color interior, with a few bags showing up that were in elephant type material and I've seen some of these elephant vinyl material in a coupe of 69s. Note that these is very very few of these elephant type material bags around suggesting it was only used for a very limited time.
    69 was PREDOMINANTLY a smooth vinyl with a "tan" colored interior (not putty color).
    70 to mid 73 was the basketweave with clasps.
    Two bags were offered from mid 73 to end of the year... one string tie, and one snap type bag.

This is from decades of research and hundreds of bags and cars looked at, and plenty of toolkits owned (and still owned).

Are there exceptions? Of course... but if you aren't the original owner .....

regards,
    E
    Lately we have seen a number of FS ads and posts about tool kits, proper contents, correct bag, etc. Eric (Soterik) replies with a write up I have seen him post numerous times regarding the correct bag that came with each year.

Here is my car's original tool kit. I believe everything is here, except for the Pudenz fuse pack which I keep in the glove compartment.

It appears to line up with his findings that 1969 was a smooth vinyl with tan interior tool bag.

Name:  IMG_4492.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  Tool Bag finish.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  60.2 KB
    Last edited by beh911; 10-21-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added Soterik quote
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624