Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 E for sale, any advices

911 E for sale, any advices

I spotted that 911 E on the
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ory-camel.html

And it's on Ebay to, the car look nice but after checking the engine vin is out of a 911 E Targa 69 so it's corect but not matching to the car, any advices wellcome.

Thanks

The engine serial # listed 6201973 which is correct for '70E 911 and the type # confirms this. So it is a correct 2.2L MFI 'E' engine. For a 1969 model the third digit would be a 9. The VIN the seller has listed is missing a # in the sequence. The seller lists it as a '71E but has this 911201077. I think he missing a 1 in the forth position. I would have him confirm this.

Edit: I see from the eBay listing he confirms the VIN is 9111..... If those bids are real on the auction seems like he going get his asking price which is a bit surprising based on the non-matching engine, but maybe I am out of touch.
    Last edited by fryardds; 10-28-2011 at 05:09 AM.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I`m having a hard time wrapping my arms around the fact that it is advertised as a 30,000 mile car.It is a nice looking "E" but the mirror,antenna location,front bumper,wiper position,gas tank paint,etc., make me wonder about the history.Could be wrong,but-----.Tom
    Last edited by tfmcmahon; 10-28-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Member:S Registry #864

I actually like this car and the fact that the seller doesn't appear to be intentionally misrepresenting anything in the ad. As pointed out, lots of small details are not 'correct' but it looks to be an honest car. I would prefer this car over a perfect show car anyway as I would be more inclined to drive it, and I think the seller says something similar in his ad. Maybe that's because I'm doing that with my own #1 S, turning it into a 2 by driving it

Have a chat with the seller and get clarification on all the numbers and yes, verify the mileage to your satisfaction. I can't speak to value as I have to see a car in person to say what I would pay for it, but that's just me.

One more thing. I see this as the kind of car that a dealer is bidding on to fix up the tiny details and resell for a nice profit. You know, the ones that say 'period correct' engine and all that.

So final edit... it does look to be numbers matching, if he left the number '1' out of both the engine# and the VIN... If the numbers add up then I think this could be a nice solid E for someone
    Last edited by beh911; 10-28-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: learned more
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

No it is not the original, matching engine. I wrote him through eBay about VIN and engine #. He confirmed he left out the 1 for the year in the VIN, but is clearly wrong about the "matching numbers" comment in his ads. So as usual buyer beware. I hope the high bidder does knows what he/she is buying from him.

"left out a one when i listed it..it is 9111 on vin tag ...proper engine for the car falls into 70 71 numbers was probably a car that left the factory in 70 and sold in 71...title lists it as 71...
    hope this helps
    thanks for the interest
    steven"
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Ahhh... so now we're back to misrepresenting the car.

I was so hopeful we had a nice honest ad. Bets are off if the common refrain "numbers matching" doesn't hold up as I believe that is a conscious, intentional thought when one types it into an ad

Oh well. Still looks purty but my interest is falling off
    Last edited by beh911; 10-28-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: poor grammar, spelling, general sloppiness
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I'm learning to be more critical from you guys. Ok '74 mirror, wipers parking right (easy mod I think), no fog light holes in bumper (WTF?), antenna ok for power ant.. To which I'll add, what's up with the inside of the front hood (RF corner) - looks uneven/disfigured, inside of trunk painted black, strange front signal lenses, wheelskin.
    Last edited by M_deJong; 10-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thanks for your opinions and advices, I appreciate and will not buy it anyway as I am looking for a matching car.

seller is an avid 912 flipper. That should tell you enough

Car is back on Samba at a higher asking price. Was 34k now 35.9k on Samba and 37 on PP.

Sweet... I did not realize values are going up that quickly