Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with omitting front bumper guards?

What's the deal with omitting front bumper guards?

I've noticed that many of the 911S Registry photos show the restored cars without front bumper guards. It's a nice, clean look and I like it, but I think all US market cars were required to have front bumper guards. It would seem that authenticity demands that they be installed, so what am I missing?

Friends, please ell me more about why so many cars have omitted the front bumper guards....

Thanks.

old softie67S
    I think you summed it up in a nut shell--It's a nice, clean look . Any race/sport purpose vehicle would not have those either
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Add one more vote for the 1973 "bumperettes" - all U.S. delivered cars had them as mandatory equipment (along with a little removable aluminum "buzzer" in the glove box area if you didn't have your seat belt on!) and whenever I see a '73 without them, I feel like it's just missing something.....

They rusted out
    They got dinged up
    They got bent
    Cars got hit in the front and rear and when they were restored the bumper guards were not fitted.
    Euro cars had a solid trim strip at the top and a rubber plug in the bottom hole.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Depends on what you like. Here is a friends 70T driver-not a restoration or show car-but he wanted it to look stock when it was repainted. The original guards were bent and we found some at a swap meet that were in very good condition and not very expensive. I think they have a place with the US style headlights-showing it is a US version.
    Sorry for the unflattering photo. The car looks much better in person. He'll get some better photos when it is back on the road.
    JMHO
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like the "delete" look with the "S" bumper
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

For me, it depends on the purpose of the car.
    My 71E.........95% stock, including the bumper guards.
    Name:  061310 018.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  168.9 KB

My 73X............extensively modded into a "cafe racer". no badges, no front guards.

Name:  cafe racer 003.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  151.7 KB

regards,
    al
    Last edited by X-Faktory; 11-05-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

What Al said. It's all about the car's purpose. I can see the case for keeping or eliminating them.

It's definitely a great look, it's just not 'correct' for an original US car.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Likewise, US cars should typically have the sealed beam H4 "sugar scoops". For me, I prefer the clean look of no front bumper guards and "eruo" lights. Correctness be damned!
    That said, I obsess over the remainder of my car being 100% correct. I've just granted myself these two exceptions and never ding myself in my garage concourse inspections.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Having had a show car (not a long hood but a 74 Carrera) originality is paramount so for a show car bumperettes are obligatory. They are not the most attractive things in the world and detract from the clean lines that the original car had. To me they represent the intrusion of government into automotive design. Those bumperettes wouldn't make an iota of difference in a crash, though they might save your headlights and hood from some idiot backing into you. My tastes dictate removal.

That being said, the beauty of this board and our hobby is that there is no right or wrong. We choose the path we take, whether originality or "sport purpose" or custom, ultimately to please ourselves and create our vision of the "perfect" 911.

Just my 2¢
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold