Thread: US vs RoW gearing

US vs RoW gearing

All,

was there a significant change in 901 5-speed gearing between 1967 and 1968? Reason for my question is a recent comparison between my '68 and my buddy's '67. Both are 901-5speed trannies, but mine runs at significantly higher RPMs. Both are sporting 195/65 R 15 tires, and both are 2.0 mated to a 5 speed. At 80mph (per the speedo, equals 74mph according to my GPS) his is running 3400rpm, while mine is at 4k exactly. At 70 mph (Speedo) mine is at 3600 and at 3100 rpm I am doing 60.

We recently discovered, however, that his 911 was a euro delivery (Pon Amersfoort Holland). So if the US cars had no changes, could his be Euro gearing that is soo much longer?? Granted, off the line is a nice experience with mine, at highway speeds the revs are up there...

Any input from those in the know??

Thx

~J~
    air cooled only

This link should be very useful to you

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ear-Info-Sheet
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thank you for that VERY informative link - but does that apply to both US and Euro spec cars? We are both running the same tranny.... still makes very little sense.

~J~
    air cooled only

member #1515
    It's no surprise that a european car would be geared longer. Their highway speeds were not limited like ours back then. It might also be a different rear end ratio.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dielen View Post
    We are both running the same tranny.... still makes very little sense.
    Okay, first determine the actual transmission type and the serial number for each. Then we can determine the original ratios.
    If the original ratios were the same, then someone has changed the gearing. Provide me with the VIN`s and I can try and see if there is a pattern to the applications.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers