Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone here run a data plate?

Can anyone here run a data plate?

I know you can do the $110 form for Porsche and get the information I'm looking for, but I've also read that they sometimes take your money and then send you almost no information - especially on the older cars. I have Mercedes experience, and any shop owner with the correct software can run the VIN and find the engine numbers, chassis numbers, transmission numbers, etc. Is there anyone here who can do the same before I cough up the $110 bucks and hope I don't get screwed? The VIN is 119310373. Thanks!

Oh yeah, as a progress report I have pulled the tank on the '69 and sent it off to be redone inside/out, and the headliner on the targa will be done while I'm gone off to Spring Break.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

I'm not too sure anyone here has Kardex files for 1969. The best way to get your info regarding exact engine number etc is to roll the dice on the $110 CoA from Porsche. In the scope of what we all end up spending on our cars $110 isn't all that much
    If you post a VIN (and maybe a build date) we can at a minimum give you a range of engine numbers that yours should fall in based on build date
    Did you get the original maintenance record for your car? This document should have the engine # written on the front page.

Cheers and good luck with your search.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

In looking through the records, the VIN is 119.31.0373 and the engine should be 639.1329. In addition, the original Bill of Sale shows that it has 195 hp? Seems high. Odd - perhaps just ambition - but that's on the Porsche Dealer document. So I guess the first question is - where is the number stamped on the engine, and the second question is, what will the CoA from Porsche give me that I don't already have?

BTW, the handwritten Intercontinental Motors Corp price breakdown was:

$8,395.00 for the car
    $ 650.00 for AC
    $ 85.00 self-level suspension
    $ 9.75 for tinted windows
    $ 37.00 for tinted windshield
    $ 16.00 for antenna
    $ 225.00 for Blaupunkt radio
    $ 152.00 for special paint (med blue met)
    $ 75.00 for shipping/handling
    $ 38.00 for transportation
    $ 290.46 in tax
    $ 19.30 in registration

$9,987.51 total on June 2, 1969

But, I also have the original window sticker, in which the dealer also handwrote add-ons for coco-mats and the bumper guards, but they weren't priced seperately.
    Last edited by POS; 03-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Hi Brian,

To answer your question, the CoA will give you nothing more than you have. It will most likely not list the transmission serial number and probably won't give you the production date either. As a matter of fact you would get a discount on the price of the CoA if you provide a copy of the window sticker, but still not worth it.

Interesting that your car was ordered with a self-leveling suspension. Those were used in the E model as far as I know. Can you put up scans of the notes and window sticker? Always fun to see those as most owners don't have these.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

You can always go the Porsche Parade. They usually have a good presence. It's been 4 years for me but at that event a fellow from the factory had a computer with the "numbers"/Kardex files on hand. You couldn't photograph it but were given full view of the real document "as scanned".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

195 hp in 69...

This number is probably due to someone transcribing onto the bill of sale a misprint from one of the factory marketing brochures for US bound cars. I can't remember which brochure, but I'll see if I can find it.

Your car's engine had 170hp DIN, 190 SAE. To verify you still have the same engine as your documentation, you can check very easily. See below pic borrowed from another thread.
    Red circle is engine #, black circle is engine build info that is tracked here. To orient yourself, this info can be found on right hand side of engine, base of engine fan house upright.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Excellent! Sounds like you have most all of the details that could possibly be on the CoA. As others have mentioned, the CoA, would likely be missing some of your options, build date, trans # and who knows what else.
    Since you have the original window sticker, bill of sale etc. I'd pass on ordering a CoA unless you plan on selling the car.

Please post a few photos of the car's details when you have the time. Can't wait to see the treasure.

-Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I guess I'll skip the CofA then; probably for the best. I won't be selling the car anyways, but it sounds like I have more than enough documentation to prove what the car is. The original owner told me that the self-leveling front failed with just a week left under warranty, so the system was then converted to a non-self-leveling front. I haven't investigated what exactly that would mean, because the torsion bars are still there, so I'd imagine that would be a strut conversion. I have no idea the wheel size; I haven't gotten that far yet with the car. Getting the fuel tank redone is priority #1, and I'm off for vacation as of Thurs. Here's a pic of the wheel, if that'll help anyone guess the size:

Here's pics of the sales paperwork.

This is sales receipt #1

This is sales receipt #2 - hand-written no less!

This is the original window sticker - both the top and bottom are still sticky

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Just Call 1-800- Porsche and get your car info by phone for free
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Just Call 1-800- Porsche and get your car info by phone for free
    ...with one caveat, though: Without proof of ownership you have to provide VIN and engine#, and they will just tell you "Yes, matching" or "No, not matching" after a couple of days. They won't share any other details such as factory options etc.

For current owners this route should do the trick, but not for buyers seeking additional info / data points prior to purchasing a car.