Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This will be my 1969 911S Targa thread

This will be my 1969 911S Targa thread

Rather than post and repost new material, I'll just update this one as it comes along.

This is a one-owner 1969 911S that I bought from a nice guy in Dallas in February. I heard about the car from a customer of mine, talked to the seller, and bought the car sight unseen; but I did have Ed Mayo get his hands on the car prior to trasferring funds. Once I got to see it, the owner and I took it for a quick drive to the bank for a notarized title signature. Fun drive, but nerve-racking because it had been sitting for probably over a year so it was a rough-running, sloppy, smoking SOB. The pluses - 100% original, all documentation (Bills of Sale and Window Sticker!!), very little rust (42 years as a covered Texas car), and always well-loved. I've always chased low-mileage, one-owner 'special' cars, so it was a no brainer for me even though I've never owned a Porsche before. Sidenote: I've always wanted a 993 and researched them for the past few years, but never pulled the trigger. Since I love classics, this car was a Godsend for me.

Here's a couple of pics on day of pickup:

I'm rebuilding my house to include a four-car garage with a lift, so I've kept the Porsche at a small private airport in a hanger next to the MB 2.3-16v AMG. It's safe and a buddy of mine has his monsterous tool box there, should I get stuck in the middle of a job. He and I drove the car around once I got it back from Dallas, but it could never get over 3000 without sputtering and spitting. Ed saw this coming - he said the tank was pretty trashed and the strainer would be clogged in no time. So I researched out the tank removal job (thank you German engineers - very simple process). Of course the tank had large chunks of rust and crap in it. So I dropped it off at a speciality shop in Waller, Tx for a complete restoration. The targa, also, went off to an upholsterer to get recovered (sagging). Then off I went skiing for my sons' Spring Break.

Back in town, I got the targa and tank back and spent Sat putting the tank back in with hopes I could finally drive the Porsche over 3000rpm. Rust really is minimal on this car; not perfect, but not worthy of changing out panels yet - even the front fuel tank support. While the tank was out, I wire-brushed the scaly spots to get down to good stuff, then put some Rust Treatment on it, cleaned it up, and put the tank back in. I was very happy when it took four gallons of clean fuel and didn't leak anywhere!

Once done, it was time for my first decent drive in a Porsche 911. Finally. She started right up and purred wonderfully with a little help from the idle control. Once warmed, I noticed that the oil level sender is sending bad signals and the fuel level guage is still reading 0 even though I put a new sender in the tank. Oh well, projects for the list. Still smoking white smoke out the tailpipe, my buddy and I head off for some test runs. She ran up to 4000 and didn't sputter - a good sign! Turning out of the airport and onto 'real' streets, I was able to get the rpms up - 4000, 5000, 6000, 6500. She sounded wonderful - very mechanical but with excellent timing to the noises! Looking over the hood and seeing those two blue monster headlight fenders is cool as hell. The shifter was sloppy (shifter bushings needed - a common Mercedes malady too), but boy that car really wanted to run. Each stop at a red light produced a cloud of white smoke; hopefully that'll get minimized with more driving. We'll see. Filled the tank with 95 happy juice - still no leaks! Yeah, I did good! Since the car is still not registered in my name and still needing an inspection, we didn't go far from the airport, but I got to go far enough to love how that car feels. It's way different than anything I've ever owned; very exciting. The steering is firm at slow speeds, but perfectly weighted at any speed above 20. A simple, honest old sports car. Wonderful. Interior is fantastic; the new headliner is spectacular. The seats are supportive. The carpets are very clean except for a rub-through to the left of the clutch (CocoMats are on thier way!). Blaupunkt works. Blower works. Heater valve between seats works. Most everything does.

Gonna register her on Monday so she's legal (yes, she's been insured already - $50k agreed policy through Hagerty that I've already had in place). Next up is the detailer - someone to spend six hours on the car making it clean. This, btw, is normally a job I'd do, but my rental house has no room for me to do this. And it needs a killer job done and it needs it now. Lots of dust in all exterior nooks and crannies. Then off to start working/checking the mechanicals - suspension and brakes first and foremost. Apparently some shifter bushings, an oil level sensor, new tires, and a bunch of suspension bushings.

My plans are to keep her original. No restoration for me. This car will continue to be a well-maintained semi-daily driving survivor. As things progress, I'll post back here some new pics, new news, maybe some questions that I can't find using Search. Which makes me think of one - the brake lights are constant-on. Where do I start to resolve that?
    Last edited by POS; 03-18-2012 at 05:12 PM.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Brian, on these old 911's everything is fixable, even the brake light switch is adjustable. Remove the pedal floorboard (you'll need to move the clutch pedal stop out of the way first) and then you'll see a small black switch with a couple wires to it. Remove the switch and on the back side you'll see a very small nut (7mm) that's your adjustment. Or it may be that the actuating lever is on the wrong side of the large washer. When you it it will all be self explanatory.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you, Ed. I'll look into that Wed morning.

The car had a decent respray during its lifetime. When the compressor conked in the last 42 years, the original owner replaced it with a rotary style and a large condenser mounted underbody. I havent researched it yet to see type it is. Working AC is on my list but down below other more vital things.

Okay, so car isn't 100% original. Close enough for me.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Now you know this thread needs a night shot of those rear driving lights doing their thing...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

great car, welcome to the fold....nothing like a '69 S...and obviously, it is in good hands with you....keep us posted.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

member #1515
    Brian,
    Very nice looking car. Good to see another Targa stay in Texas. Hope you'll be able to join us on the Hill Country Rally this weekend Ed is coming, good debut for your car.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thank you, David, as I'd love to. But the car isn't ready for that kind of a haul yet. Not to mention it looks like I'll be off to SoCal this weekend for some family things. Certainly should be ready next year; I have the website in my favorites.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

By the way, what are these badges and what do they mean? I know that the MBs have a high-mileage badge, but these don't look similar. I figured there was a reason for them, but I don't know what the reason is. Thank you for the education.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

member #1515
    Brian,
    I was looking at the pictures of your trunk area. I'd suggest having Ed take a look at your front suspension pan, there seems to be some heavy rust there. It's sort of a weak area on these cars due to rust. It's critical as this is where your front suspension is anchored to. Basically the old pan is cut out and a new one is welded in. Normally on a car of this age this would already have been done. If you are going to have the rubber bushings replaced in the suspension, that would be an ideal time as you'll save on labor.
    By the way I have a 6.3 too.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Ed did look at the front pan, and even though it had some surface rust, no structural issues were noted. I cleaned them up and treated the surface rust before i put the tank back in. I do, however, need to remove the undercoating and the surface rust poking through there. Will do when I get the lift in the new garage.

Here's two pics of the 6.3. Great cars, aren't they?

And the cherry on top, a 1966 250SE Cab:

I love those old Benzes. Would love to see a pic of your 6.3.
    Last edited by POS; 03-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab