Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal filter

Charcoal filter

Can the charcoal filter box in the trunk behind gauges on my 69 coupe be eliminated and if so where do I locate the fuel tank vent line?
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 03-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.

For one thing, it's not full of charcoal, it's just an empty chamber.
    Its purpose is to vent the tank, eventually overboard, from a place ABOVE the FUEL LEVEL in the tank.

If you were to eliminate it (why?), you would need to route the vent line far above the tank level to keep fuel from exiting tank under decel, cornering, etc.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I was told the box was a charcoal filter? Anyhow, the box has an exit line from under the box and goes down to a y where the brake fluid fill breather connects to the y also. It then has a line from the exit of the y and goes down to battery area where PO crimped it closed. The rubber strap that holds up the filter box has broke, (old rubber), and now rattles behind gauges when driving. I was going to eliminate the box all together since it actuall does not function and causes a slight fuel odor when tank is full. Does anyone know where their LWB vent tube from box exits trunk?

Bob,

Here's 2 pages of threads that might help....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hid=333518&pp=

Cheers and hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Thanks guys. The overboard vent hose on mine was crimped closed with duct tape. My fender access plug is missing on that access hole only. That explains that. How should I strap, (anchor), box behind dash since the rubber rotted and broke and this piece is no longer available? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Ace hardware!!! buy some 1/8th" bungee cord and the appropriate aluminum crimp connector. You will need about a 4 1/2" circle of the bungee with the ends joined by the crimp connector. That will hold the box in place just like the original strap. For the concour weinies among us (me included) use a felt tip marker to blacken the bungee. (usually what they stock is NOT black bungee) By the way, before reinstalling that box I suggest plugging one hole, using a compressed air hose GENTLY !!! pressurize the box while holding in a pot of water. If you have air bubbles the seam is leaking, caulk up with some JB weld.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

On my '69 I bought a grommet from the hardware store that fit the front hole where the tubing exits the trunk. For the vapor box, I used a black rubber band from my '84 BMW R100RS motorcycle. The band holds the 2 frame side covers on, and it is still available. BMW part number 63121351414 A&S Motorcycles has it for $2.80. Even Pelican Parts shows it available as a car part.
    Last edited by 911T1969; 04-28-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Yep grommet at the front and a big o ring to hold the canister

Does anyone have pictures of the stock vapor box strapped in place properly? (as mentioned above) I have a 69' and still have the original box and the charcoal canister in front is missing.

2nd question...where do you port to the atmosphere? I don't want to vent into the trunk from the vapor box...pictures explain lots!