Thread: WTB: Shell oil sticker on '68 air cleaner

WTB: Shell oil sticker on '68 air cleaner

Does anyone know where I can buy the "Shell Oil Sticker" that was on the air cleaner of my '68S. We are almost finished with the restoration and trying to nail down a few minor details.
    Thanks for the help.
    John Hodgson
    johnlyndahodgson@att.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, try Pelican Parts, or Sierra Madre, jorge should have them also.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Was it the same one that was on your intake snorkel before the restoration? If so do you have a close up of the old one?

911 S 16.jpg
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

BEH911.....unfortunately this is the best I have....took over 1000 pictures of the restoration but not the one I now need....have talked to original owner who says the red/yellow one is a Shell oil sticker...he cannot remember what the whit one was. I have tried to magnify but image quality is bvery poor....Sorry I can't help further.
    John

San...sorry for my ignorance, but who is "Jorge"
    Thanks,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by johnchodgson View Post
    BEH911.....unfortunately this is the best I have....took over 1000 pictures of the restoration but not the one I now need....have talked to original owner who says the red/yellow one is a Shell oil sticker...he cannot remember what the whit one was. I have tried to magnify but image quality is bvery poor....Sorry I can't help further.
    John
    I think the white one was probably a standard date/mileage recorder sticker for a service interval (oil, air filter, etc) added by a service station or dealer. The big rectangular one is very curious to me as I think my car had if not the same one, a very similar one. Would like to know if it was some sort of factory fill sticker or not, similar to ones found in mid year cars.

Also, most likely your car didn't leave the factory with the sticker you are looking for, it was added on later.

I've been looking for a source or upclose picture for a very long time with no success.

Here is a shot of my car ~'70 with a similar sticker.

Engine.jpg
    Last edited by beh911; 04-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Bryce, I would think that sticker on yours was added later as you suggest. The reason I say that is that the snorkle had to reversed to make room for the A/C compressor therefore it would have had to be factory installed on the bottom to now be on top.

John, looking in my Road & Track road tests from 68 and 69 there is no Shell sticker on the air cleaner anyplace.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I didn't see the exact one you were looking for, but these guys otherwise seem like the sticker experts to me. I would call them - if they don't have it, they may know....

Looks like it's maybe Sierra madre this one or this one?
    Last edited by luke-44; 04-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Ed, MANY THANKS!....never thought about looking at Road & Track...very smart. I am picking the car up today....we have a couple of very minor things left to do that will be done over next couple of weeks and then we are done!. We will show at Radnor in September for the first time....I'm going to do alot of driving between now and then. Bruce did a great job...the car looks great.
    John