Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making 911S more euro

Making 911S more euro

I've owned lots of old Mercedes; 95% of them were euros. To me, these are european cars originally designed with european lights to flow with the bodies. Then the US had their own versions of these lights, so they were adapted to our US less-design-worthy specs. I'd like to put my 911S back to the european version. What I'd like is some advice about what's the right way to go about it. I see what looks like cheap knock-off lenses for sale all over ebay, but not too great condition old original european lights.

Are the reproductions crap? I think I'd really like to spend the extra for the Bosch. For the headlights and front turn signals, that seems easy enough - Pelican, Stoddard, etal. But finding rear euro taillights that are Bosch aren't that easy (mine have to have silver trim). Ebay.de for those? Buy the cheap repros?

Lastly, I saw some pictures of an old 911 with orange reflectors on the rear, rather than the red ones. I can't seem to find those - anyone ever seen them?

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

search the threads as there is a pretty good one somewhere discussing some specific diffences between ROW cars and US version - You can find a nice set of H1's, some euro front and rear turn signal lenses, maybe a kmph speedo, make sure your ride height is set to euro, maybe toss on a rear fog light, some front fog lights if you like, change the fog light and rear defrost switch etc.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Hi brian-- About a year ago or so the euro Bosch tailight lenes with the silver trim have disapeared from the venders. Try used or close to original aftermarket. some are better than others. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Brian, the H-4's are also a European light, look the same as H-1's (mostly) but are less expensive and easier to find. Don't know about currently, but years ago (5-6) I just simply ordered the front/ rear lenses from the dealer, took about a week but they were the proper color and silver trim. If you get the Euro front lens you really need to partition off the housing, add the ghost light, and disconnect the normal park light bulb filament. I now have genuine Euro front housings, but before I had them I made them with small bulb sockets from Pep Boys and some aluminum.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks, Ed. Every seen the rear orange reflectors (rather than red ones)? I was going to get the H4 headlights and front euro turns from Pelican, but I guess finding original rear euro tails will take some work. I'll have to find some euro front turn housings so the city bulbs can work properly. Thanks.

I tried to find the turn signals a few years back, had a line on some NOS ones and it was going to be major dollars to get them - hundreds of dollars each! Problem is the 68 euro had lenses sealed to the housing so it is the whole assembly you need. You may have to settle for repro lenses, which are not perfect, but better than nothing.
    1968 911S 30K miles
    2006 Saturn Ion DD
    1988 Beretta GT
    1981 5-Ton Chevy stake-bed

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation of this is a bad thing.

Brian,
    What's your budget, patience to find the right parts, and sensitivity to correctness? That will determine what level you take this project.

If it were me, I'd find a nice set of H1s (there is a nice set on porsport.com that will set you back under 900). H4s give better lighting but don't have the period look IMO.
    You should be able to find repop rear tail light lenses with the silver frames inexpensively. Originals are hard to find in good shape and expensive if you see NOS.
    Euro front turn signal lenses have an extra bulb and wiring associated with them. Again how far down the rabbit hole.

I've never seen orange rear reflectors so can't help there.
    Lighting and lens details are one of the best ways to set your car apart.Name:  IMG_3600 - Copy.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  83.8 KB

Good luck
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by POS View Post
    . . . To me, these are european cars originally designed with european lights . . . I'd like to put my 911S back to the european version . . . Are the reproductions crap? . . . the headlights and front turn signals, that seems easy enough - Pelican, Stoddard, et al. But finding rear euro taillights that are Bosch aren't that easy . . . I saw some pictures of an old 911 with orange reflectors on the rear, rather than the red ones . . . anyone ever seen them?
    Hey, Brian . . .

Regarding your 'orange reflectors,' take a look at these --- at Sierra Madre Collection . . .

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...t_detail&p=426

Are you referring to the 'tail light lens,' maybe? If so, then SMC advertises 'repro' for $69.95 --- add $83.85 for 'OEM' . . . silver trim and everything

HTH

PS My car's an unconverted Euro --- and I feel the same way about the looks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I love the H1s because of the uniqueness; will strive to do that before getting H4s. For the front turns, I'll prob find a euro set on eBay.de that have the whole housing to go with it. For the rears, sounds like I'm gonna end up with repros. Lastly, judging by the reactions here, I'll never find a set of rer orange reflectors. That's okay.

I really appreciate the help guys.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Check www.ddk-online.com . . . . all kinds of Euro-spec stuff there

We Can Be Heroes