Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collector car insurance

Collector car insurance

I have been using Haggerty, but the permiums are getting too pricey. Anyone using other companies successfully?

Thanks for any recommendations you have.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    I have been using Haggerty, but the permiums are getting too pricey. Anyone using other companies successfully?

i switched all my cars from Haggerty to Chubb, about a year ago. I prefer Chubb for a variety of reasons, but a better premium was not in the cards for me. Others have had lower rates thru Chubb.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post

I'll just contribute that some of my car collecting buddies have "stories" to tell about Hagerty's competition (they switched for a very small savings). Not good stories...I've never heard stories about Hagerty. I'm not saying they are the only game in town, but I've heard enough to stay put. Besides, I unfortunately just put them to the test and they delivered for me. I pay less for 4 classics per year than I do for my modern cars for 6 months ! Good luck, try Leland West, Chubb, Grundy, American collectors, etc...

My only problem is that I'm planning a X-country move, and the requirement to have the classics garaged is going to be a tough one. Gonna have to find me storage until I can buy a new house !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

John, I'm still w/Haggerty because I understand, from what I have read, that they have paid out when required. As the cars increase in value, so will premiums, as you are insuring based on value. I hope they will never have to pay out. I have no knowledge of the others, but there are only a few gigs in town anyway, and its a question of who is selling you the policy, rather than on any great difference between policies, as there are very few underwriters on this sort of stuff.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

I'm still with Hagerty; never had to file a claim with them, so I can only say that I've been very happy with them as they're taking my money! I still find their premiums to be very good, so I've never wanted to go anywhere else.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

I have found Hagerty's rates tot be competitive, so I haven't shopped them for a long time. Surprised to hear they are out of line. Maybe it varies by state?

Hagerty really came up large for me last year when I needed a tow truck. I've had on and off the roadside ins with AAA, but dropped it due to rising prices. This incident was for a non running car that was in storage and needed to go to a garage on very short notice. AAA would write the roadside insurance for the tow, but a 3 day wait to take effect.

Hagerty put the policy in effect in minutes, even knowing I had an imminent claim. It took effect on the spot (for all cars in my household, not just my vintage) and then stayed on the line as they summoned the tow truck. I was ahead of the game in minutes.

Plus, the Hagerty people are just so darned nice on the phone.

I'm with Hagerty and also have all my cars (even those not insured by Hagerty) on their roadside towing service. That alone is a great deal.

I think I also remember reading that Hagerty handles all their own claims in house, meaning no third party administrator like other insurers.

If all of this equates to a few more bucks a year insurance wise compared to a competitor, I'm okay with that. I hope I never have to use any of it
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by POS View Post
    I'm still with Hagerty; never had to file a claim with them, so I can only say that I've been very happy with them as they're taking my money!
    That's the truth right there. Most people are happy with whoever, but really they never had to put them to the test (a good thing). I'm now happy with Hagerty because they came through for me, though I'll admit getting to talk to your appointed adjuster can be difficult! My mechanic has a collision shop as a side business and he also told me he deals with all sorts of classic insurance, and hagerty was #1 in his book...

When my car was rear ended, they came in low initially...but said it was a preliminary and they would revise it upwards if needed... The shop came back at them saying there was *no way* to match my 40y old paint to a new repair, and so they sent the appraiser back and he signed off on repainting the whole car instead. That is why I stick with them - we'll see if they kick me out next year though - that's the acid test ;-) Last reasons, McKeel Hagerty owns an early 911 which he restored to the last nut/bolt. I also find their valuation tool way more accurate than the Bruce anderson's or SCM price guides. But none of that answers Denson's original question...sorry...
    Last edited by Greg D.; 04-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I am an insurance Broker. I have used Hagerty and Grundy with success. Grundy has been bought out by Phildelphia Insurance Company. When I tried to do business with them earlier this year, they didn't have their stuff quite together yet. Their prices were better than Hagerty at the time, but the customer service was not adequate. The moral of the story is, Quality is better than quantity. Stick with a company that gives you the best service. Don't always make your decision based on price. If you do, you may be sorry...

Bob (Skid) Marx

This issue has been kicked around quite a bit on the 356 chat. Haggerty seems to be the hands-down winner. Seems that the best idea is purchase a "stated value" policy versus hoping for a "fair" settlement based on some "book value" in the event of a write-off.
    Last edited by Neil '67 911S; 05-03-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512