Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on the value of a 73T

Need help on the value of a 73T

I met a gentleman, who is the second owner of a 1973.5 911T with approximately 102,000 original miles. He has owned the car since 1976 and has all the records for the car. It apparently has the original paint, which is starting to check on the decklid and original interior. There are three to four minor dings on the passenger side and a few rock chips on the hood. The drivers door pocket is a bit out of whack, the roof liner is a bit discolored, and the dash has no cracks. He believes he had the top end rebuilt 10,000 miles ago but the case has never been apart. There is virtually no rust and everything appears to be in great shape for a car almost 40 years old. No sunroof and I think it has factory air that does not work. Hopefully my bad pictures will help with an estimation of the cars worth. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images      

25-35K is a price range.
    Rob Abbott

Better pictures would certainly help, but it hits all the high notes of long term ownership history, all original, original paint, interior, all records, etc. The 73.5 cars drive great with CIS and have been a little under-appreciated but people have started to realize how nice they are to drive and own. I would say at $25k the car would sell in 5 seconds... I think $35k would be a quick sale and north of that the fine details will really start to matter as to whether it can bring more than that, hence the need for better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    25-35K is a price range.
    +1. If it helps, I paid 23 and change for an 72 in the same condition -no rust - last july (except as it turned out my engine case had been split once), and promptly put $13K into redoing all things mechanical/exhaust/suspension. Bringing me to 36... So if you don't have to do all the above, there's your range... My paint was original as well, some dings as well, it's a bit of a dilemma ! Mine was resolved by the car being rear ended on the mechanic's first test drive post repairs... No more hesitation, the insurance sprung for a free repaint.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    +1. If it helps, I paid 23 and change for an 72 in the same condition -no rust - last july (except as it turned out my engine case had been split once), and promptly put $13K into redoing all things mechanical/exhaust/suspension. Bringing me to 36... So if you don't have to do all the above, there's your range... My paint was original as well, some dings as well, it's a bit of a dilemma ! Mine was resolved by the car being rear ended on the mechanic's first test drive post repairs... No more hesitation, the insurance sprung for a free repaint.
    Is your mechanic available for another test drive?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Is your mechanic available for another test drive?
    Even though it worked out for me, I wouldn't wish it on anyone... Took a little fighting with the insurance, proving the respray could not match an original faded/aged paint in a million years, and it added another 3 or 4 months to the process to source parts and paint... I bought that car last july and I'm yet to drive it more than the one time !!!
    Hopefully in a few weeks !!!
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I have been trying to purchase this car for close to a year now and am finally making some progress. I have taken some more pictures that will hopefully help in the valuation of the car. I have looked on this forum and on the 911s registry forum to find real prices on these cars. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. as stated above the car has original interior and exterior. The paint has nice patina but is checking on the decklid, hood, and on the tops of the fenders. There are 2 dents on the front fender and a few rock chips on the hood. Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  77.4 KBName:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  74.2 KBName:  DSC_0034.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  29.9 KBName:  DSC_0023.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  107.6 KBName:  DSC_0036.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  98.9 KB

Appears to be a nice driver, I too like the paint patina. If this car suits your needs, and you don't feel like every thing on it has to be perfect for you to enjoy it, you should buy it. Some times people, buyers and sellers, get hung up on the value. The fact is, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some would look at that car and see it needing a full restoration, others see it as only needing a driver. I would suggest you get a full PPI from a reputable Porsche shop, and use that information to negotiate a price.

Honestly, in the year since you first posted, the car has probably gone up 10-15% in value. As a side note, you have also missed a full year, that you will never get back, of driving it. As I get older I increasingly add that into my car buying vs. restoring calculations.

Good luck getting a car.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    Appears to be a nice driver, I too like the paint patina. If this car suits your needs, and you don't feel like every thing on it has to be perfect for you to enjoy it, you should buy it. Some times people, buyers and sellers, get hung up on the value. The fact is, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some would look at that car and see it needing a full restoration, others see it as only needing a driver. I would suggest you get a full PPI from a reputable Porsche shop, and use that information to negotiate a price.

Honestly, in the year since you first posted, the car has probably gone up 10-15% in value. As a side note, you have also missed a full year, that you will never get back, of driving it. As I get older I increasingly add that into my car buying vs. restoring calculations.

Good luck getting a car.
    Very well said. Opportunity cost is a conundrum on an item from which one can derive pleasure.

Whether the value goes up or down or stays the same, you will never get the past year back which could have been one of ownership.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Agreed. Get a thorough pre purchase inspection done and don't get to hung up on value unless the guy wants really silly money.
    The last but one Porsche I bought was a mint low mileage one owner car. I paid top money for it at the time about six years ago. But as a mate in the trade said buy the best you can find even if you have to push the budget a bit. What looks expensive today might look very cheap tomorrow. Today it is worth about 2 and a half times what I paid for it. The very last of the air cooled rear wheel drive turbos.
    early S registry # 2596