Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panorama early 911 values

Panorama early 911 values

The new Panorama June issue has a very good article on early 911 values and the pricing is really spot on. It's a good read. -Scott
    72S, 72T now ST

That would be a first.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I found it to be slightly mixed. Some of it sounded a bit like sour grapes. Especially the part about early (65 cars) being sold on ebay at high prices being ruinous for the market. It seems to me that if you want to collect an appreciating and limited commodity, you have to pay what the market will bare. My $0.02.

Not saying that I wasn't happy to see a table showing that my nice driver '66 is worth more than what I paid + invested :-).

Dan
    Last edited by oscillon; 06-14-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    1996 993 black/tan

Can someone scan/post the table for those of us who don't subscribe to Panorama?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by bdladd View Post
    Attachment 218364

Here is Page 34 of the June Panorama. It shows the complete table of values from the prototype cars through 1973.
    Thanks Much!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Quote Originally Posted by oscillon View Post
    Not saying that I wasn't happy to see a table showing that my nice driver '66 is worth more than what I paid + invested :-).
    tongue firmly inserted into cheek in case you didn't get that...
    1996 993 black/tan

Mr Kelley's perspective is a bit different from most . . . I know this name from my 356 days, long-time Porsche Guy

Exciting --- to see his numbers --- and scary. But also sad

Prolly couldn't afford to buy my car, today

We Can Be Heroes

I agree with Rick's 'exciting and scary' thought above. Or said differently maybe, the affordability question versus its counterpart, the money aside question--would you if money were no object?

One thing I hadn't thought of that Prescott Kelly pointed out in the article is that there are now 3 generations of enthusiasts who have first hand experience with the 911. The market is broader and, er, younger, than say the brass car collector. Not to sound crass, but I get the AACA monthly newsletter which is part 'in memoriam'/obit as much as what's new in that enthusiast's world. Arguably, the staying power and enthusiasm for 'our' cars could give the market legs for the longer term.

But, yes, it's all a guess.
    Meanwhile, so many aspects of these cars to enjoy without focusing on values.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

My take away from the article is that current owners should not be afraid to invest in their cars within reason, whether it's a valve guide replacement, a heat exchanger or a decent everything off restoration. Even if the market levels off for some time, the fact that these are rare and desirable cars means that they will maintain their value. Few things other than Beanie Babies (remember those ?) peaked and then crashed. Most level off, take a breather, and then keep going.
    The best analogy I can come up with are Leica cameras. Also German, state of the art in their time, and driven by a large and affluent international collector community that has continued to raise their prices for many, many decades, long after the people who originally lusted after those cameras were dead and buried. The priciest examples go for more than all but the most rarified Porsche's.
    I have to say, having watched the market for 6 moths very closely and inspected many of these cars, I'd say the prices in the article are rather high, at least on the basic and excellent driver side. I've seen some good drivers cars in the 72-73 T and S vintages prices significantly below the values listed. You can get all all records from day 1, one respray in the original colour, 2 owner 72 911T for $55k right now in San Diego, just as one example. Perfect driver, but really investment grade in my limited experience.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 06-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.

I've had the same car for 28 years and have casually monitored pricing during that time. My view is that prices can go up quickly, and they can level off for a while, but they can also go down. One example is the peak in the late eighties, followed by a decline for several years. I think the value of my car may have dropped by 1/3 to half during that time.

Factor in inflation and I estimate my car has pretty much matched the inflation rate from that peak to today's peak. So, on an inflation-adjusted basis, my car is worth today pretty much what it was worth in 1988. Of course, I've also earned a "return on fun" from the enjoyment of owning and driving it during that time. Most of us are in it for the passion and not the investment anyway, but it's at least nice to see they aren't going down in value. As someone said earlier, that does make it easier to swallow the odd repairs and restorations that are inevitably required.