Thread: 911 ~~ S66 on VIN plate...

911 ~~ S66 on VIN plate...

Does anyone know what this stands for? It's the designation for heater type on many early cars, T, E, S, across multiple years. It shows up the same on my car as a friend's 73E. Neither car has Webasto or any special heating.

Name:  Heizeinrichtung Typ.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  21.7 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The Google translation for Heizeinrichtung is "Heating Device" The text stamping "911 ~~ S66" appears to indicate "66" was the technical year of classification, and that classification did not change for the duration of it's usage thru 1973. (Were gas heaters even used for 1974 and later cars?) Some cars made prior to 1965 did not have the "66", it is guessed they were made prior to the full classification registration. Does anyone know if this was a TUV requirement?

Are the other "Technical information" for weight or load limits classifications ie. 600kg, 1400kg, 840kg. also required for TUV certification and therefore permanently stamped on the aluminum tags?
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    The Google translation for Heizeinrichtung is "Heating Device" The text stamping "911 ~~ S66" appears to indicate "66" was the technical year of classification, and that classification did not change for the duration of it's usage thru 1973. (Were gas heaters even used for 1974 and later cars?) Some cars made prior to 1965 did not have the "66", it is guessed they were made prior to the full classification registration. Does anyone know if this was a TUV requirement?
    I don't think it's for the gasheater (the Webasto), but the standard heating (from the heat exchangers).

Motivation for this is that the 912 (1965) parts car I had reads "356 BT6 ~ S60" while it also had a Webasto like my 911. The way I read is that the 912 had the heating system (as the) BT6.

My $.02

Richard

Not an technical expert, but doesn't mean the wave sign "Wechselstrom" i.e. AC alternating current.
    If yes, its the german TUV code for the heater system on a car.

BTW "Heiz-einrichtung" would indicate rather a special device while the tubes from the heat exchanger are simply...tubes.
    But i might be wrong.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 07-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Thanks for the responses. This is beginning to make sense.

I also found an informative thread on Pelican:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...questions.html
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624