Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it in poor taste.....?

Is it in poor taste.....?

Gentlemen (and ladies),

Is it in poor taste to post "what is the value of this or that" threads here on the board?

I am new to the older cars and I have posted and asked for values on certain parts and most recently a project car (1966 911). My intent was to establish a fair market value via consensus of the board and then decide if I should put it up for sale or hold it for future restoration. I purchased the car as part of a package of 3 cars so the price for the single car is beyond my limited knowledge at this point.

I expected at least a few opinions but did not receive any…..

Now, the part that really interests me is that I have received offers for both parts and cars by just asking for opinions on values. I even received an offer for a part and the car it was attached to when I posted for info on the part and had not even presented the value question. Most of the responses have been via PM and not on the threads themselves.

Now it seems members will opine endlessly about values of “for sale” cars (which I enjoy BTW) and follow values on a minute by minute basis, but why not respond on the value threads?

In closing I will add that I am not a dealer or a flipper just in the hobby for the love of the cars and often find myself in over my head.

Your consideration and advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kevin
    Member #2239
    '76 911 turbo lightweight
    '87 land rover D110

Ok, I will bite

Value is in the eye of the beholder...and I am sure Sithot will be more than glad to elaborate on that point...<grin>

For example, If you have 200 RS Fire extinguisher systems and live in a 1 bedroom apartment with your 3 kids, wife and 6 Labrador retrievers, you will probably be willing to sell one of those fire extinguisher systems for far less than the guy who has only one and a 20K sf warehouse to keep his growing cache of old Porsche parts.

and so it is with all of us..some of us have more space to keep things or a need to buy something (in mid restoration on a car) and others of us have 30 - 50 years of this stuff lying around and wouldn't have a need for much of anything

First, thanks for your polite note. Politeness can go a long way arounds these parts.

As for requesting a value, that is certainly fair game on this board. Sometimes, I will post my best guess just to generate discussion.

Seems to be a psychology thing. Posting an opinion sometimes gets you flamed. Depends on your willingness to post an opinion and then your ability to filter out those who might negatively express a counterpoint.

Whereas, in the anonymity of E-mail and PMs, people came directly to you with offers.

Thanks for posting and don't let this first attempt stop you from trying again in the future.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    With the power of the internet, the deals are long gone. I'm sure the majority of people on this board (including myself) find that the deal is part of the fun of the hobby. Hence, the reason for the PM's, strike a deal before it's listed. As the values increase, the deal is the only way some of us can advance our projects. As far as asking for a fair value, I don't find it in bad taste however I would never provide an idea simply because I don't know. I'm surprised daily by some of these numbers and they seem to change daily. The best way to judge is to follow the recent thread and e-bay, but even that is not a good indicator. Throw a number out there that you are satisfied with and see what happens. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. PS- If you have any SWB parts you're going to sell, please let me know before you post them!

PS to Kevin...please post some pictures of your cars on the Show your ride thread!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Good feedback on a polite question. No, it's not poor taste.

I think the PMs you are getting are your answer. That is your market, as it's someone willing to buy your stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the rest of it. Listing, getting consensus (impossible, btw). What more do you need?

For the record: No, I haven't PM'ed him an offer for anything !
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thank you for all of the responses…I guess it truly depends on the buyer and seller at any point in time.

I will post the car for sale and see what happens.

Kevin
    Member #2239
    '76 911 turbo lightweight
    '87 land rover D110

Some of us are getting real tired of people who seem to know nothing about anything not bothering to do any homework. They want the members who put in a lot of current time, as well as 20 or 30 years to answer their questions. The new people need to go into Search on this and Pelican, and Somba. Put in lets say 200 hours, and low and behold you won't need to ask these questions since you will have the answers. Of course you are way to busy or big time to do that so you ask us. We shouldn't answer, but of course some do so they can see their name in print, and become an internet expert.
    Mike

Kevin, ask away. I started wrenching sport cars in 1962. I have a lot of time invested. What's the math, 50 years?! Yikes. If you (or mike for that matter) have any questions that I know the answers to, then I'm happy to respond. If I don't know, then someone else might.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

^^^^ +1

I'm happy to answer questions. That's what makes it a discussion board.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa