Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this Bracket for? ...... on a 69t LWB

What is this Bracket for? ...... on a 69t LWB

Name:  DSC01297.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  114.9 KB

Hello,

Ive found a bracket drivers side (RHD) inside the front wing near the radio aerial, could somebody tell me what its used for?
    thanks Lee

Right front, radio antenna? Did car have electric antennna? COA? Factory installed and dealer kits had manuals on left and electrics on right. My '69T has manual on left...no such piece in right.....original car. Not familiar with the electric units used on '69s...very rare option. That's where I would be searching.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Right front, radio antenna? Did car have electric antennna? COA? Factory installed and dealer kits had manuals on left and electrics on right. My '69T has manual on left...no such piece in right.....original car. Not familiar with the electric units used on '69s...very rare option. That's where I would be searching.
    Hello mark,

Are you saying the bracket is for the electrics of an antenna?
    There is nothing listed on my COA but the car came with the optional Loudspeaker which possibly links
    a dealer kit.

Will ask Porsche GB if they have any records....

Cheers lee

I'm speculating!!

On a T there would be nothing else up in there that is original. The S cars would have the internal oil lines coming out of the rocker panel at the rear bottom of the fender and coursing up over the inner arch...but the brackets are nothing like your image.

Is there an antenna hole on the top of the fender?????

The electric antennas were fairly bulky units, especially the earlier ones. So they would logically need more support than the manuals.

Speaker kit was a popular option allowing the dealers to sell different radio options ($$$) to customers at time of sale. The electrics had to go on the right as there was no room on the left due to fuel filler....a simple manual would just fit on left.

The only way to verify a delivered electric antenna would be Kardex, COA, or dealer installation invoice.

AH! The mystery of old cars and their molestation through the years!

It's most likely some wierd previous owner thingy.......remove it but save it, and move on. The answer may come later when you're not looking for it.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Hi Mark,

Porsche GB have nothing listed, Germany are currently looking at the bracket and will hopefully tell me if it's for a electrical aerial motor etc, I'm thinking it's a dealer fitting after the car left the factory, there is an antenna installed on the right fender.

Big question is if the bracket is generic with all uk spec 69t's,

Thanks lee

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  97.9 KBName:  photo.2.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  123.4 KBName:  photo.1.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  127.9 KB

hello, more evidence of the Antenna plus the distance between the bracket and the actual Antenna.
    also a picture of the RHD front fender, how would this operate?.... From egnition or would it
    Be a pull switch located on the dash?

I wonder if I can find a NOS Electric Aerial / Antenna?

sorry I cannot seem to get the pictures the right way round.....

Lee
    Last edited by leedurrant73; 07-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Hi Lee,

This just may be going in circles...it was a UK delvered car?

The Brits do some silly things....God love'm, and I'm a member at Goodwood! Maybe they just put all their antennae on the right..out of habit...the left/right thing. I have heard some outrageous stories from dealers......the pre-delivery inspections, PDIs and prep ( toolkits, manuals, RADIOS!) was always left to the flunky shop guys. So Shamus is told to go out and prep that car...it needs a radio kit and antenna.....Shamus is a new hire from the local Austin Agency where everything is RHD.....and out of habit installs an antenna on the right fender! It is certainly easier than fighting that little bracket down in the left front door jamb!

Be careful with this....you may go crazy. The US and factory dogma was manual/left, electric/right....but Shamus was out there and the dealers did what they wanted.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS

Ok thanks for your help Mark,

Lee

How would an electric aerial operate?
    A pull switch to extend or ignition?

I have found a hole were a pull switch was used.
    Thanks,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leedurrant73 View Post
    How would an electric aerial operate?
    A pull switch to extend or ignition?

I have found a hole were a pull switch was used.
    Thanks,

Lee
    By turning on the radio with the ignition on, I believe
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624