Thread: How many per day?

How many per day?

I have a 68 911T SWT w/o engine/trans, BUT have an opportunity to buy an engine that is only 154 off in numbers (earlier though) than what the factory gave me for our engine number. Does anybody know, roughly, how many days off this # may have been for ours? Should I buy it due to its proximity in # to ours? I doubt that I would find THE actual engine, though that would be awesome. Thanks for your input.

Hmm . . .

Interesting idea . . .

Well, I'd start by taking the total number of 911s built, then divide by 11 months @ 5 days/week to get a ball-park figure

Just have to keep in mind that stuff doesn't exactly happen in order . . .

. . . still --- might getcha some idea

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

More like 10 months with the typical German holidays, factory changeovers etc. 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 month in the summer and a lot of other holidays in between.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

There are folks on this forum that can probably give you a more accurate mapping of your VIN to a particular engine number range, but here are some basics:

I believe I read somewhere (Excellence was Expected, period Christophorus ? - can't remember which) that with the new facilities that came on line at the factory in 69, production was close to 30 vehicles per day. So if you estimate 20-25 vehicles per day for MY 68, that should get you close. It would put you in the ballpark of that engine being mated to a chassis probably within a week or two of production of your car.

The challenge is that engine numbers weren't sequentially mated to VINs, so it can be difficult to pinpoint an exact timeframe without comparing several data points of production dates, VINs, and engine numbers to triangulate. Meaning chassis #50 might have engine #35 while chassis #51 might have engine #47, etc. Also, different models and different engine types complicate this a bit.
    Last edited by beh911; 09-22-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: looked up prod #s
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

About 1750 Ts were built in '68 (excluding Sportos) so 154 away is pretty close... likely within the month yours was built.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT