Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed TV loses F1 broadcast rights

I hear NBC will put this on their NBC Sports channel. This is HD coverage of interesting sporting events that are often times beyond American market. Tour de France coverage is a good example with Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett doing an excellent job.

I am open to change, but will definitely miss Hobbs and Matchett. I haven't missed a Speed F1 race since their coverage began way back when.

I wonder if Hobbs trademarked, 'klag', 'stone the crows', 'superior attachments', and many other colorful Hobbisms ! He is unique for sure.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by tpdorsey View Post
    I think it comes down to this: were you satisfied with the Speed TV broadcasts of F1? And will NBC put together an overall F1 broadcast at least as good as what Speed TV did?
    Terrence,
    Yes, I did enjoy 17 years of Speed broadcasts of F1. It obviously has the best drivers in the world with the fastest cars. I'm just one opinion, and my favorite all-time driver is:

I think that I've watched every 12 Hours of Sebring, the 24 Hours of of Daytona, and the 24 Heures du Mans that Speed was able to broadcast. It was a great time, but life changes. My best memory of the 24 at Daytona was when a guy that I raced with won it in a non-factory ride.

I remember watching many great IMSA races (including the Motorola Cup and Koni Challenge production classes), SCCA (mostly T/A and WC), and Grand-Am (mostly the production classes) on Speed. I just watched the Monterey Historics (one hour, when it needed 3 hours) on Speed.

I am optimistic going forward. Fox (News Corporation; NWS), ABC (owned by Disney; DIS), and NBC (now owned by Comcast) seems to have the current first choice of programming. I believe that they will finally get it done properly.

The old guys in vintage racing have also seen changes. Steve lost Monterey. SVRA (Peter owned it for ~two years) was recently sold to Tony (who also bought HSR-West). HSR was sold to Vintage Racing Events, LLC (FL). I am also very optimistic that this will work well.

Doc

BTW, HSR just had the Road Atlanta event. There were at least seven E911S guys there. Juan won all the trophies.

There was one special 911 there:

Also on hand this weekend were Bob Bailey and his son Cannon who co-drove the number 22, a 1968 Porsche Lightweight, one of only 6 built. Purpose built for racing, Bob acquired the car in 1968 and spent the next two plus years racing the car successfully in the TransAm Series. The car was sold to a Canadian in 1970 where it was raced and underwent some modifications and changes, certainly not factory recognized. Some years later it was purchased by a Hollywood producer who had it restored to original condition by a classic car restoration shop in Huntington Beach CA. Bob became aware of the car's location and was in communication with the owner. As the car was ready to go to auction at Pebble Beach in 2010, Bob bought it back and he and his son have been racing it in various historic events. Bob says he is trying to get the car back to all the tracks he competed on back in the days of the TransAm series.
    Juan has enough Champagne bottles to throw a party for all of us.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Details on NBC-actually sounds pretty good. No announcers mentioned though. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/13935.html
    Early 911S Registry #263