Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another One . . .

Another One . . .

. . . that got away.

Never driven a 2002 . . . my first new car was a '78 320i, so my propellor-headedness began just after these. But since then . . . more and more, I've come to appreciate a high-quality vintage German car for a modest sum. 02s are somewhat notorious for a number of issues --- including rust. And because they're 'before my time' . . . never really been on my radar

But in the last coupla years, I've come across some really interesting examples . . . and I'm feeling The Pull. Relatively speaking? . . . these little BMWs are way under-valued. Well-built, economical, mechanically simple + robust. Also invisible . . . just my style. Besides, when Sambas pull six-figures(!!!), what's an '02 really worth --- jeez!

So here's a 'poster car' . . . . for comps . . . recently sold on eBay

Seller's eBay schtick . . .

. . . This is a lovely original (un-restored) and 100% rust free California 1971 BMW 2002. The car starts right up and sounds as healthy as can be. The engine purrs and the idle is perfect. There is no leaking, smoking, overheating or strange noises. The acceleration is positive and she is very peppy. The clutch is superb and shifting through all the gears is effortless. All mechanical, electrical and climate control systems are in good working order. The brakes, steering, suspension and handling are a+. The entire drive-train is solid and tight. This car is very responsive and runs extremely well. She is a blast to drive. Cosmetically this gem is just phenomenal! There is not one single rust spot or any repairs ever! The body, chassis, frame and floors are 100% solid and rust free. The "aguave" paint finish shines beautifully. No dents. There are minuscule chips and misc imperfections. This car is just gorgeous! All of the chrome is in shiny original condition. The interior is clean without any wear marks or noticeable imperfections. The seats are free from any tears and are soft and comfortable. The carpeting, door panels and headliner are clean and very attractive. The dash does have some typical cracks which only adds some character. Nice stock wheels with matching hubcaps and clean BMW insignia logo's. The trunk floor is perfect also without rust or previous repair. All of the glass is good and windows function correctly. There is not much more to say about this car other than the new owner will be pleased with it's overall mechanical and cosmetic condition. This is possibly the most attractive color on this car and unusual to find in such wonderful condition. The car comes with it's original "Blue and yellow" license plate which verifies it's California heritage since new. If you have any questions contact Evan at 310-594-4224, or email. Shipping can be arranged worldwide and expedited quickly and inexpensively to your door. The car is also available for sale locally and is subject to removal from the auction at anytime should it be sold. Thanks for looking! . . .

Sold for $11,600

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More '71 2002 . . .

Dash's cracked . . . several times . . . badly . . .

We Can Be Heroes

More '71 2002 . . .

Absolutely no idea if the 'numbers' --- or anything . . . 'match'

We Can Be Heroes

One of these is my next purchase if/when the garage space shows up. I have always loved them.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Let me know when you find one of these and I will stop looking for a M3!!

A friend of mine sells a bare shell.
    Body with pigcheeks and cage only.
    It's a historic racer. It ran with different configurations as 1600 with pigcheeks, later as 2 liter Heidegger MFI Slidevalve group with Group 2 flares.
    There are historic pictures of the Car in different configurations and the old Wagenpass exists too.
    Body has been replaced due to an accident between 70 and 75 and has no VIN stamped.
    Let me know if it is of interest - I'll put you two together.

In the US these guys http://sports-car-restoration.com seem to be quite active in the scene.

Cheers

Uli

Hey, Uli . . .

'Pig cheeks' --- Schwein-Wangen? . . . . that's hilarious

And be careful what you wish for, mbh . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Well the car was pretty cleaned. But guys we missed this because its sold. Anyhow if I was got the chance to buy this one then I will gift this to my grandpa. I am sure he will happy to see this.

I owned a brand new 1971 BMW it was a complete piece of SH!T! Always being towed!

In 1971 my mother was absolutely convinced that her 16 year old son was going to be killed in my 1959 Austin Healy 100/6. Being that I drove the Healy like a total lunatic even racing it up on Mulholland Drive while many of the spokes in the wire wheels were either loose or gone... I must admit she was RIGHT! I was 16 years old... Spokes in the wire wheels "I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SPOKES!"... Amazing what some of us survived eh?

My mom heard about this new very safe car called a BMW... She decided that the only way I would live to see 17 was if she got me into a safe car... I never asked for a new car I loved racing my Healy but $3,550 later I was in a brand new 1971 BMW...

I drove the BMW like I drove the Healy... I did not drag race or do burn outs, I just loved road racing in any LA Canyon or up on Mulholland.

The BMW could not take even what my beat to death 1959 Healy could! While still under warranty I broke two differentials by downshifting/engine braking into turns... I asked then and still ask now... How the hell can you possibly brake a rear end with only 100 HP???? The head gasget was replaced repeatedly. I drove to see my girl friend at San Diego State and the BMW had to be towed back. I was driving up the loong grade to Mammoth and I down shifted and the whole shift assembly literally fell out of the car onto the ground. Lying in the snow I jerry rigged it together using part of my boot carrier.

I sold the BMW and bought a very rusty 356B Cabriolet... I literally beat the SH!T out of that car for two years and it would not break... Which is no surprise because it was a PORSCHE.. My next car was a 912 and 500+(yes 500) Porsches later I still have never broken a Porsche Transaxle.

After staying away for almost 40 years I have gotten back into BMWs in a big way but like the 3.0CS... They still do NOT even come close to a 911 even with all of the HOT TICKET upgrades like a 3.5 liter injected engine and 5 Speed...
    Last edited by execmalibu; 11-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Well- I'd have to say that's the opposite the experience I've had with my 72 Tii. Owned it since 1974 and it has never once left me stranded-it's been 100% reliable. Back in the day it sure did embarrass a few late 70's L82 Corvettes......
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera