Thread: 1969 year correct interior paint URGENT!!!

1969 year correct interior paint URGENT!!!

My restoration project (1969 911E Karmann) is in the painting stage, but i'm not sure about the correct interior painting for this year. I got a lot of help from smedley, but i need a bit more with pictures if possible.

As i know the trunk area was painted to satin black and sprayed till the upper trunk floor with undercoating. But how does the transition go from undercoating to plain black? Is there a staigt line or there is some fade? Every detail is interesting. If you have some detailed photos, please show me.

Name:  porsche-trunk.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  366.3 KB

What about the interior? I'm really interested in original or concours details. Where is black? Where is painted? Where is it undercoated?

Name:  porsche-floor.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  127.0 KB

My 69 all be it a Porsche build, had the stone guard blended, and not very well up towards the shock towers, and about 2 inches from the trunk lip.

I ended up going for a more finished look, although not 100% correct, it's more asthetically pleasing.

I masked where the roll in the panel goes from the bonnet lid seal, about an inch down, and continued that line to where you see the stamping of the shock tower, that runs at 45 degrees, and down till the trunk horizontal.

For the interior, my car originally had stone guard throughout, except for the seat rail attachment points. It then had a mix of body color and black overspray.

I ended up re shooting the stone guard, and then gave it a couple of coats of satin black, masking around the seat anchor points.

Also you can see in your photo the area of the door that needs to be satin black, as the door card, and pockets don't go all the way to the, and there is nothing worse than a nice new interior with a door with (insert body color) surround.

Don't forget when you do your dash pad area to shoot a section around the air vents, as the dash and vent aren't always the perfect fit.

I hope that helps, I can post a photo if that helps? But I'm not home until tomorrow.
    Last edited by classic; 11-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Tony

I forgot to mention, mask a small section around the light harness socket holes, where they exit the body, before the stone guard. And don't forget your earths, and any threaded holes, that stuff really sticks.

I put a couple of coats of satin black over all my stone guard, yes including the underneath, a bit more protection, and it allows me to wash the fenders etc. keeping it clean for longer.
    Tony

Tony, thank you for your help. I'd really like to see some photo shoots. So yes, please post some. Would be very useful for me.

one thing to keep in mind is that none of these cars were top notch finish by any standard. By this I mean there were no sharply defined edges, no two cars were finished with identical " blend " points between the undercoat, rockguard, paint, black etc. If you get it in the ballpark it is within factory specs. The black on the door edges and in the trunk were brushed on so don't try and spray it. for uniformity. The brush strokes are there from day one. Same goes for the area around the e-brake, heater knob and anywhere else the carpet has an opening. they were quickly brushed to hide any gap between the carpet and the underlying body.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

FWIW I have 2 73's here with original paint here if you'd like pics, but some of this stuff may have changed between 69 and 73
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

Just a few shot of the trunk area. I can't find photos of the floor, and i've got carpet in there now.

As i said not 100% correct, i don't think the factory had any pattern, mine was just sprayed up in the general direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
    one thing to keep in mind is that none of these cars were top notch finish by any standard. By this I mean there were no sharply defined edges, no two cars were finished with identical " blend " points between the undercoat, rockguard, paint, black etc. If you get it in the ballpark it is within factory specs. The black on the door edges and in the trunk were brushed on so don't try and spray it. for uniformity. The brush strokes are there from day one. Same goes for the area around the e-brake, heater knob and anywhere else the carpet has an opening. they were quickly brushed to hide any gap between the carpet and the underlying body.
    Well said.

Don't over restore your restoration... the factory was more artisan than engineer when it came to undercoat, paint, blend lines, etc.

I'd try to take some pics of my 69 trunk but I am away from the car for the weekend
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624