Thread: Fuch Offset Differences?

Fuch Offset Differences?

I've got a 1971 911T (10/70 build date) thats got it's original slotted steel wheels still installed and I've been looking at maybe putting Fuchs on it at some point. With that, I know the correct wheel from reading the forums would be either a deep-6" with or without hearts since it falls in the range where the wheels were in transition. After looking at pictures (and prices) I think I may prefer a flat-6" wheel over the deep-6" for my car.

My question is, is the actual offset the same for these two different versions of wheels? Do they sit under the wheel arches the same (ie: do they stick out the same amount)? Is a 185/70R15 tire still the correct tire for the flat-6 wheel per the factory manuals?

I know a flat-6" isn't correct per se but I guess it could have been available if they were added to a car after shipment later at the dealer. Although I'm not too concerned about originality I do like the idea of period correct when modding my car so any feed back on this would be good. Also, I think a flat-6" looks "cleaner" for lack of a better term although a deep-6" wheel is still a great looking rim (I could honestly go either way in terms of appearance).

Lastly, is anybody running later flat-6's on an early narrow body car like mine (where deep-6" would actually be correct) and if so can you post some pictures?

sorry for the dumb questions and thanks in advance,

Stretch

Offsets discussed in detail here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...s+wheel+offset
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Only difference is visual, offsets are the same. And flats were made with safety bumps for tubeless tires, deeps were not. I have flat 6's from 74 on my 71 T. There are early flat 6's that take 3 prong centers and later that take round centers I think.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    I've got a 1971 911T (10/70 build date)
    My question is, is the actual offset the same for these two different versions of wheels? Do they sit under the wheel arches the same (ie: do they stick out the same amount)? Is a 185/70R15 tire still the correct tire for the flat-6 wheel per the factory manuals?
    Stretch
    Like the others answering..Yes, the offsets are the same. The late (flat) 6 started to be installed about 3/71 and used until the end of the 73MY about 8/73 when the cars went to hubcentric wheels. The 74 up hubcentric wheels can be identifed by the ring style hub cap. Both will fit and work well on your car. Although the first series flat 6s were used with tubes until mid 73, they were designed for tubless stems and will work without modification. (also said before) (BTW the bead bumps have nothing to do with tubeless application)
    The tires however, were (by Porsche) replaced by 195/65X15 in the 80s. The 185/70X15 that are available now are vintage style tires.
    The 195/65X15 on a late 6 is hassle free and drive the best IMHO.
    Sorry, no photos that I can show without permission.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 01-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Gents,

Thanks for all the input on the issue. I've been searching the web for pics and even got a look at the two versions side-by-side at a friends shop (an early 71T and a late 72T sitting side by side actually). With that, I think I'm sold on the flat-6's so I guess I'll be looking for some in the near future. Thanks again for all the help.

Stretch