Thread: gauging interest: low cost protractors for MFI

gauging interest: low cost protractors for MFI

I'm currently restoring a 911 2.4 E and would really like my own set of protractors to check for MFI correlation. I saw that some shops offer replicas, but the prices seem crazy to me.

Fortunately I have access to a full set of the original tools for now. I’m planning to have a friend (who is a professional rapid prototyper for Airbus) convert them into a CAD file that can then be 3D printed at http://www.shapeways.com for nothing but the material cost.
    I’d pay my friend myself and provide the file for free to anybody who needs it.

The final product would be made plastic but just as functional as the original.

You would have to supply the magnets yourself. Naturally we would use a magnet that is widely available on the internet (ebay or similar).

It’s hard to tell what the printing cost for a full set would be, but I estimate it should be well below $50. You would pay shapeways directly, I'm providing the file for free because not looking to make any profit whatsoever and a few people from my 911 club also need the protractors.

The main issue I see right now are the pointers. We could either have them redesigned to make them printer friendly (I don't like that idea) or simply create a jig that can be printed at shapeways so people can make their own pointers.

Ideas are welcome!
    Last edited by thomas beck; 01-10-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas beck View Post

Ideas are welcome!
    Welcome to the forum. I think someone else is already very far along on what you are trying to gauge interest on. Check this out:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rs-P228b-P228c
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624