Thread: possible MFI pump damage because of high barometric pressure- true?

possible MFI pump damage because of high barometric pressure- true?

Not sure if it was this forum or elsewhere but I recall someone mentioned something about a potential issue with shipping a MFI pump via air as barometric pressure could damage the pump because of the extremely high altitude? Any truth to this? If so, how would this be fixed? Apologies as I know nothing about the more intricate workings of these pumps.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Never heard of such a thing,,,,I've shipped pumps to rebuilders via UPS which I assume involved air transport, never had a problem there.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed, I would agree as thousands of pumps have made their way around in more ways than just ground travel but I had read somewhere that the pumps were sensitive to extreme atmospheric pressure so I wanted to double-check.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I doubt it for MFI Pump - I just talked to my mecanic about this as he buys MFIs from USA to Europe and never had an issue.

What I am sure of it affects cigars - if not in a humid pouch.

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I remember reading that an airline fuselage is pressured to the equivalent of something like 9-10,000 feet above sea level.

So the pump is traveling via air at the equivalent of driving through the Rocky Mountains or High Sierras or Alps... well within spec for the barometric cell and use of the vehicle in general
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Cargo hold is not pressurized I believe, unless there are animals travelling. But the pump is a hunk of metal. The barometric compensating cell should be fine. The cold temperatures will be worse than the low pressure. So long as you don't try to run it at -40 degrees you will be fine.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425