Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 Years of 911 - did MSN get some things wrong here?

50 Years of 911 - did MSN get some things wrong here?

I know some guys out there can find fault here, as it appears that the associated photos aren't really accurate. Statements like "The 1974-1975 Carrera also saw the introduction of some now-iconic design elements: the "whale-tail" rear spoiler " don't ring true, right?

Can others find mistakes?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/50-ye...-porsche-911-1
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Can others find mistakes?
    Isn't that what we do best here on the registry?

1969 Porsche 911E

Porsche made its first set of major adjustments to the 911 with the 1969 B-series models. The 911E became the new standard 911, replacing the 911L. New features included a longer wheelbase to optimize weight distribution and fuel injection on the 2.0-liter version -- the E stands for "einspritz," or "injection" -- which raised the horsepower to 140. The B-series 911S kept a conventional setup and produced 170 horsepower. The B-series 911's design stands out mostly for the slight flare in its rear fenders, as larger tires were beginning to find their way aboard to further improve handling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems to imply that the E was the only MFI car offered that year, if S having 'conventional setup' means carbs to MSN. Sorta strange
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

My take

slide 3 not really a "boxer" engine, it's a flat six, "boxer' engines have pistons with crowns that face each other, but I know we call it this
    slide 4 how was the 911 chassis stiffened, with the rear ARB? and "bigger brakes," well, does that mean vented discs?
    slide 5 didn't the A-series begin with 1968 MY? and silver car is clearly an LWB
    slide 6 the targa shown is an S
    slide 7 the "b-series 911s" did NOT keep a conventional setup, only the 911T did in 1969-- MFI was used for both E and S that year
    slide 11 the turbo was not based on the carrera RS-- perhaps they mean the RS 3,0?
    slide 14 could you buy a whale tail (early turbo tail) on an SC in 1978?
    slide 15 231 HP only on the euro version, and the SC had an oxygen sensor before the Carrera's "electronic control" (should say Motronic)
    slide 18-- 247 HP, 250PS, a nuance, but is this all written in Euro?
    slide 19 again with the power-- either 272 or 285 PS for the 993.

they skipped the 997 entirely and went to the 991!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Is slide 5 somewhere around a 72? I noticed the front spoiler and the square mirror.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by smclaughlin View Post
    Isn't that what we do best here on the registry?
    I couldn't agree more. It gets really tiresome.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

When I first thought of posting this, I was concerned it might be viewed that way; however I think this is different and shouldn't be confused with some of the other "bashes".

This is a report from MSN, which should fact check. As a journalism student- I would be given a 50% - and my piece wouldn't be graded further. This is not me calling out some individual's good efforts in restoring a car, and I think MSN should have dotted T's and crossed i's
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    When I first thought of posting this, I was concerned it might be viewed that way .... I think MSN should have dotted T's and crossed i's
    I agree. For the record, I was making a joke, and not at your expense.

The blonde in slide #3 drives me crazy every time I see her.

PS... I think the Microsoft article has fewer mistakes in it than their average Windows update
    Last edited by Bill Simmeth; 04-18-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    I couldn't agree more. It gets really tiresome.
    +1,1

IMHO, I'm gratefully surprised that MSN bothered to do the article. I think, but for a few details, they got it mostly correct. After all, it isn't meant to be a definitive works on the history of the 911.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"