Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are we in the early 911 appreciation curve...comparing to 356s.

Where are we in the early 911 appreciation curve...comparing to 356s.

Many have mentioned that 356 values have leveled off for all but the most extreme 356's. 4 cams, Speedsters, etc. The argument goes that the 356 buyers have largely bought and the next demographic of baby boomers want the early 911s. History has proven that what is popular today probably won't be in a few years. I have not watched the 356 market and have no idea if this theory is correct. I am not trying to offer an opinion....

The question is: where are the early 911s in the price appreciation curve if 356s are the best historical comparable. For example, did 356s take 20 years to reach this point? Where are early 911s in this cycle? Based on what 356 values did is it realistic to assume that early 911 esses will someday be seen as 'safe $250-350k' 'purchases or has the market peaked and now the values will level and fall....?

I'll say this: I'm glad I bought in when I did. If the prices level off here, I'll be very happy. If they go up, I'll be happier. If they drop, I'll be happy - I still have a great-driving bank account in this car!

If any of us could see into the future and answer your question with some great knowledge that you could bank on, then we wouldn't be here - we'd be in Vegas earning quick easy cash.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

My wife can sort it out when I'm gone...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Its just me but I think the 356 looks a little old now. the early 911 looks forever young. Yes I respect the 356 as anybody can see its where the 911 came from. I would say when the baby boomers are too old to drive is when the early 911 will level off in value or drop. So we have 12 to 18 years with this love affair. I see very little interest from the 20 something's today. For them cars are way too expensive and traffic is a mess in town. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Appreciation curve...

I am still climbing the curve, as I appreciate mine more and more each day...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I am 43 and the 911 of my generation are the late 80s cars....and...they too are increasing in value. Look at 930 and Speedster values....

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Its just me but I think the 356 looks a little old now. the early 911 looks forever young. Yes I respect the 356 as anybody can see its where the 911 came from. I would say when the baby boomers are too old to drive is when the early 911 will level off in value or drop. So we have 12 to 18 years with this love affair. I see very little interest from the 20 something's today. For them cars are way too expensive and traffic is a mess in town. Chris

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    I see very little interest from the 20 something's today.
    you'd be surprised. the problem is for 20 somethings the cars are untouchable price wise.... it's not that they dont want one. Every younger person that goes for a ride in or drives my car has an "experience".
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Digital K makes a good point. If it weren't for a little talent with a guitar, there would be no way that I would be a part of the Porsche world. Prices fluctuate in the classic car market. That's no secret. Remember six years ago when a basic re-badge Camaro SS was going for $60K? What are they at now, $25K? The prices will go up again for the 356s, I just have a feeling that it will have more to do with inflation than interest.

My take on young people, call them "kids" if you want, is that they have very little interest in cars in general. I have many car buddies who have kids and they all say the same thing. "My kids not interested in cars". Obviously there are many reasons for this. I think the bigger issue affecting the future of motoring in general is access to skilled technicians and lack of affordability. With prices getting higher, parts fewer, skilled technicians retiring w no replacements, this hobby will become more of a museum trade as apposed to hobby. If it is this hard to keep our cars running now, just imagine what it will be like in 10 or 20 years. Yes some areas, west coast, have many good shops, but that is a long way from where I live, the east coast, and then you still have the cost factor.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

The elephant in he room is called debt.We are up to our ears in it on a national and global level.This will be the driver of commodities and collectibles.Where we go from here will determine the discretionary capitol available to support car collecting and maintainance both here and in Europe. Central bank policies are the driving force everywhere and the best minds I follow have no predictions other than not ending well. We are in uncharted waters.There is a "black swan" moment out there.but no one knows when.Color me pessimistic,but with good reason.I know all the emotional thoughts on why we should live in the moment and not worry.I have owned 20 or more 911`s and been around the block more than once.This time is different and it pays to pay attention.Old man rant over! And now back to the news. TFM
    Member:S Registry #864