Thread: Vintage Porsche Dealer help needed: "Porsche Car S. East Inc."

Vintage Porsche Dealer help needed: "Porsche Car S. East Inc."

I can find one reference online to the dealer that originally sold my 1969 911S: "Porsche Car S. East Inc.". This singular reference suggests they were once in Jacksonville, FL, the same stomping grounds as Brumos. Searching on this site, the only reference I can find to a dealer that bears a resemblance is "Porsche Car Southwest", in Jacksonville.

My car was originally delivered to a buyer in Tennessee, so find it a bit odd that the car was purchased in Florida. Does anyone have any knowledge or recollection?

Even better, anyone have a complete list of dealers for 1968?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Found a REALLY BAD picture verifying they were indeed in Jacksonville. Looks like their official coverage area included Tennessee. Now makes sense.

Name:  K68Dist2a.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  20.2 KB
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Amazing the things you find poking around the web. Very confusing, but it appears that my car may be in some convoluted way, a Brumos car. The post below appears to be by none other than Jack Atkinson...

Posted on Flikr on an old Brumos race car pic:

I was crew chief for Brumos Porsche Car Corporation from their beginning in 1959 until 1964. From 1965 thru 1968, I worked for BMW and continued to do preparation and crewing for various Porsche drivers; Charlie Kolb, Bert Evert, Dr. Wilbur Picket, and others. I joined Peter Gregg in Feb. 1969 and worked for him until his death in 1980. Peter got permission to use the Brumos name when he purchased the Porsche Retail Dealership from Johnny Von Neuman who had purchased the original Brumos Porsche Distributorship from the Brundage family after Herbert Brundage's death in 1964. It had been renamed Porsche Cars Southeast. Long story so I will jump to the '73 24 hour. There were two cars sent over for the race; one for Roger Penske and one for Peter. They were the first two true RSR models. The practice engines had Titanium connecting rods and were not legal to race at that time. There is an interesting story about the flywheel drama; another long story(see Donahue's book "Unfair Advantage"). As to the windsields, the factory installed thin lightweight glass that was not up the high speed . They actually cracked inward from wind pressure alone. We had a spare standard windshield and replaced it in two minutes during a regular stop. It was just laid in, not properly installed, so duct tape was used to secure it. For later races, we always had a fully prepared spare and we went back to the old mirror mounted to the frame and not the glass. By the way the name BRUMOS comes from the cable address of Brundage Motors, Inc. Merry Xmas, Jack
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think you have it. Think of Porsche Cars Southeast as the distributor, into a dealer network that covered the above mentioned states.

69 was also toward the end of the time that VW was involved with the dealer network. That changed in 70 or 71 when Porsche-Audi formed a joint selling plan and left out VW if I recall correctly.

Here is the 69 dealer listing:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ers-%281969%29
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Super - thanks for the heads up!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    Amazing the things you find poking around the web. Very confusing, but it appears that my car may be in some convoluted way, a Brumos car. The post below appears to be by none other than Jack Atkinson...

Posted on Flikr on an old Brumos race car pic:
    I think your car was more likely sold through one of the two dealers in TN back in the day.

But sure it could have come directly from Brumos. Keep in mind Brumos was the distributor and a dealer...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    I can find one reference online to the dealer that originally sold my 1969 911S: "Porsche Car S. East Inc.".
    What's your reference to P Car SE from? Window sticker, buyer's order, etc...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624