Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted: 1969 911s

Opinions wanted: 1969 911s

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  152.7 KB

Ok I am new to the forum. I once owned a 1969 911s that was all original with 20000 miles. My grandfather had owned and gave to me when he died. I sold the car in 2005 and I am kicking myself for it...not because of the pricing but the emotional history of the car. I am now looking for a similar car. Thoughts on the picture? I am getting complete details.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 1969s; 06-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.

If you still have it post the VIN. One of our members may have the car or know where it is. You may be able to get your grandfather's car back.

Good luck.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    If you still have it post the VIN. One of our members may have the car or know where it is. You may be able to get your grandfather's car back.

Good luck.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I know where the car is - Mexico. Owner is a big collector and I am told he's never going to sell the car.

What a way to enter a room!

Well --- first-off . . . welcome to Our Little Corner of the Porsche world

I'm always curious how people find us --- this is not a jumbo site, like some others, so . . . how'd you find us?

All nosiness aside --- regarding your inquiry . . . you need to get the VIN, then do a proper 'net search --- here, on Google, Pelican, etc. Posting pics + details helps --- that car is stuck in my mind, now . . . but a LOT can happen in 8 years

You might also wanna join The Early 911S Registry --- like, pay dues. The Registry maintains a membership roster that includes members, contact info --- and VINs, so . . . you just never know

And, oh-yeah . . . . more pictures, please?

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

That is a known car on this forum. 119300991

In that picture, it has a New York plate on it. Interesting that you say it is in Mexico...

Owned by wsf80, previously by vauranan123 (Raj).

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=119300991
    Last edited by beh911; 06-05-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added link
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Think we're getting a little muddled-up, here . . .

I think that 1969s is currently looking at a car --- 119300991 . . . that resembles another one that he sold, back in '05 . . .

. . . yes?

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Think we're getting a little muddled-up, here . . .

I think that 1969s is currently looking at a car --- 119300991 . . . that resembles another one that he sold, back in '05 . . .

. . . yes?

Yes, that's correct - it is similar to the one I sold in 2005. After doing some research it was bought in Feb and there was some issues between buyer/seller. The car does not have original transmission which I am curious to know how much this affects the price. It also has no books or history since new.

Quote Originally Posted by 1969s View Post
    The car does not have original transmission which I am curious to know how much this affects the price. It also has no books or history since new.
    In the end, value questions like this can only be answered by the buyer. How much a transmission change affects the value is something you have to answer yourself. Does it bother YOU?

What is your intention with the car? If it is to drive the car in it's current form (not correct but nice looking paint and non matching trans), it shouldn't matter much what the transmission number is. Have fun with it.

If you plan to bring it up from what appears to be a solid driver to a complete, trailer queen restoration as an 'investment' then I would consider other things such as the lack of long term documentation/books in determining if this car is appropriate.

Given what this car went through this past spring, I hope it ends up driven and enjoyed.

Good luck in your decision making process
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by 1969s View Post
    . . . there was some issues . . . car does not have original transmission . . . curious to know how much this affects the price. It also has no books or history since new . . .
    Hmm

Regarding ‘matching numbers’ --- or anything . . .

To me, ‘numbers’ play absolutely no part in how a car runs/works. Personally? --- I consider them as a part of a purchase negotiation. Do ‘numbers’ affect value? Absolutely. How much? Depends on the transaction --- + the Seller + the Buyer. Some Buyers would never consider a buying a ‘non-matching’ car --- that’s their call. Others just want a car that works

Regardless. All other things being equal --- a ‘matching numbers’ car may sell for more than one that isn’t . . . but it may cost more to buy, too. Or to put it still another way --- for want of a few squiggles . . . you can get a ‘non-matching’ car that runs/drives the same as a ‘matching’ one . . . for less money. I think that it’s a matter of price-points at a transaction --- functionally/performance-wise . . . the cars are the same

Keep in mind, also, that, relatively speaking ---- 911s are just not that rare. I started a poll some time back asking the question . . . do your numbers match?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...highlight=poll

Based on the responses that that poll received --- and on my experience with the cars that I came across when I was looking to buy . . . I’d estimate that 1-out-of-5 cars have some issues w/ ‘numbers’ that don’t ‘match.’ From a User’s point-of-view, that represents an opportunity. Yes --- it might affect the price when you sell . . . but that’s offset by the lower price you may've paid getting in

And in the mean time? . . . . you get to use the car. ‘Numbers’ don’t affect the performance --- or the fun . . . of driving a Porsche

Again-personally? . . . a changed-out trans is not as big a hit as having the original motor

The Bigger Issue is . . . .

Is it a car that you want?

When I went looking, I didn’t buy paperwork, provenance, history, or ‘stories.’ (Didn't have any.) I found a car that I liked --- I bought a Porsche. And I would advise any one looking for any car to do the same

Don’t buy Sellers --- their reputation or conduct
    Don’t buy what you’ve heard --- or what others tell you

Look at The Car. Consider any purchase carefully

Then? . . . . buy a car that you like/want --- ‘matching’/not. . . for a price that you can afford

And --- enjoy it

Everything else is just everything else

HtH
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.

We Can Be Heroes