Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche unveils entry for 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans

Porsche unveils entry for 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans

or Porsche enters the TRON era of racing

-->Comment: Porsche often cloaks/camouflages prototype "mules" in whimsical (and difficult to photograph) graphics and paint schemes

By: Gary Watkins on June 12, 2013

Check out Porsche's new LMP1 offering that will be driving in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Porsche’s first challenger for outright honors at the 24 Hours of Le Mans for 16 years has run for the first time ahead of schedule.The new Porsche LMP1 hybrid was given a roll-out today on the German manufacturer’s Weissach test track at its research and development facility by factory driver Timo Bernhard. The shakedown for the car, which has been built to the 2014 energy-based LMP1 rulebook for next year’s World Endurance Championship, was described as “several weeks” ahead of schedule.“We are well on schedule, said Fritz Enzinger, head of LMP1 at Porsche. “Our newly formed team has worked with utmost concentration on getting this highly-complex vehicle on the track as soon as possible.“This allows us a few additional weeks for more testing and further development. From 2014, the regulations are primarily based on efficiency and present us with completely new challenges.”Bernhard, who won Le Mans in 2011 while on loan to Porsche sister marque Audi, said he was “very proud that I was the one to take our baby through its paces today”.“Already the car feels great,” he continued. “I look forward to testing the vehicle in the coming weeks and months with my friend and colleague Romain Dumas [the only other driver confirmed for Porsche’s 2014 WEC line-up so far].”Porsche has yet to reveal technical details or a name or type number for its new LMP1 coupe. It has only stated that it will be powered by a petrol engine.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2W1X5wo00
    Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Haasman; 06-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

I'm thinking Porsche has a bit of a headstart with this program

porsche lmp1 audi r18.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post

c'mon, please say it ain't so.......
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post

At least they changed the headlights... Good grief
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I don't understand all the seeming consternation about the '14 Porsche looking so much like the Audi, which in turn was a direct outgrowth of another engineering study before it.

Below, two photos of the actual 2003 24 hours of LeMans-winning 2003 Bentley entry at Pebble Beach in '03........the official French bugs hadn't even been cleaned off the front.

Naturally, since Bentley at that time was already part of Piech's empire, Audi engineers were deeply involved in the design and testing, which was done principally by Derek Bell who has a well-chronicled huge Porsche background, in the prototype stages of this project. One look will tell you that the Bentley is obviously the progenitor of the Audi R8, and that Porsche, 10 years later are just following in successful footsteps, no need to re-invent the wheel.

Given the period of stability in the ACO rules over the last decade and given today's speeds, does the wind tunnel not dictate the outward appearance of pretty much all race cars, so why expect Porsche's new entry to look any different from VWAG's previous recent efforts, except in details.

Respectfully,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 06-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Same consternation from me on the Bentley, thanks

Nothing to signify a different marque other than stickers and light pods.

It's just the way it is.

I am happy Porsche are back at Le Mans, even if it is in an Audi
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I don't have any problem with this at all and wouldn't expect Porsche to re-invent the wheel! Audi or Porsche in the winner's circle? I'm good either way What will be interesting I suppose is their choice of power plant and 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Great points John. Visual differentiation/ brand identification is always secondary in this class of racing.

Porsche participating in what I call the 'TRON (from Audi's eTron) era of racing is good, in my opinion. The appearance of the Porsche 2014 LeMans entry is still a mule at this point. It will mostly evolve quite a bit before we see it in its final version, if history is our guide.

The extreme compact and low frontal areas, central longitudinal vertical stabilizers, roof mounted engine air intake and the leading edge vented rear fenders are all generally common to these racing cars. I noticed that with the latter for an example, the Porsche version has NACA style intakes ducts. Watching Porsche develop a race car is always fascinating. I am looking forward to this, gleaning as many details and nuances as possible.

Finally, the tickle down technology to road cars is always inevitable. It makes me wonder how much up-flow (or existing knowledge) from the 918 work will be part of Porsche's 2014 'TRON LeMans car.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

NASCAR? Can't tell one from another at 100 yards.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    NASCAR? Can't tell one from another at 100 yards.
    They're all owned by Hendricks, it don't matter....
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624